Checking FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, because you added priming sugar to the final fermented beer to carbonate, the FG will look increased. Always take a reading prior to adding any additional fermentables....

jmd1971 said:
No, because you added priming sugar to the final fermented beer to carbonate, the FG will look increased. Always take a reading prior to adding any additional fermentables....

That's what I thought. Thanks guys.

Sure you can, why not? You know how much sugar you added, the math is straightforward.

A pound of sugar adds 44 gravity points to 1 gallon. Divided by 5 gallons equals 8.8 points; times 5/16 if you added 5 ounces instead of one pound, = 2.76 or ~~ 3 points or .003 added to the gravity. So subtract .003 from the reading, you got your FG.

frazier said:
Sure you can, why not? You know how much sugar you added, the math is straightforward.

A pound of sugar adds 44 gravity points to 1 gallon. Divided by 5 gallons equals 8.8 points; times 5/16 if you added 5 ounces instead of one pound, = 2.76 or ~~ 3 points or .003 added to the gravity. So subtract .003 from the reading, you got your FG.

That's what I added, 5oz. To a five gallon batch.

frazier said:

Math + beer = why I left college (the first time)

Latest posts

Back