Brewing in Korea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busanbrew

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and live in South Korea where ingredient options are a bit limited. They sell extract kits but I would like to go a little less basic but I'm having a hard time figuring out recipes with such limited ingredients.

Can any one help?

This is what is available (i'm not sure if the rename anything here)

Hops: Tradition (10% alpha), Saaz (3.1%), Tettnang (5.3%), Hallertau (10%), Cascade (5.4/7.5?)

Yeast: White Labs WLP001 California Ale, WLP004 Irish ALe, WLP013 London Ale, WLP810 San Fran Lager, WLP300 hef,WLP800 pilsner lager, WLP351 Bavarian Weizen
Also Morgans Lager Yeast and Morgans Ale Yeast

As far as malt goes they have some selection but ill be really limited untilI can sort out a grain mill. I'll probably be using just some generic pilsner malt (that I have heard is similar to 2 row?)

I'm not sure if this is enough information, I would love some help.

Thanks

You can brew a Two-Row/Cascade SMASH APA:

10LBs two-row
0.5 oz Cascade @ 60
0.5 oz Cascade @ 15
0.5 oz Cascade @ 5
WLP001 Yeast

That would make a refreshing, fairly malty, slightly citrusy APA.

I'll send you some more ingredients if you'll come get Psy from the states and bring him back to North Korea.

1349199807-psy_gangnam_style.jpeg

@topherM I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about Psy, but I promise you, however much you have heard him, I have hear him a lot more.

@noontime, I am not in the military but good looking out.

hi

I'm also brewing in Korea. I assume you're talking about beerschool.com. yes they have a really limited supply... as far as malt goes, you can go with the dry malt extract (9000w for 500g) as your base malt and then buy specialty grains. the grain mill isn't necessary as they do crush the grains for you if you ask. under malt, there are 2 options for getting your grains milled. less than 3kg s I think is 3000won. so you select that as a separate product along with your other grains. don't forget to get them crushed- haha I did that last night, but luckily when I called them today the order hadn't shipped so he said he'd crush em for free.

happy brewing!

We have a mini food processor that my mom gave us decades ago. I had to use it in a pinch with my partial mash yesterday to crush 5lbs of grain. 1/2C at a time with 3 pulses of 3-4 seconds each did a nice job. Just throwin that out there.

Thank goodness your not in North Korea or getting ingredients would be even harder. And Kim Jong-Un would claim 4.9 out of a 5 gal batch as his property.

Just a word of caution regarding Pilsner vs. 2-row. Pilsner malt has a higher amount of DMS percursers which taste like corn in mild cases, rotten vegetables in severe cases. If you use Pilsner malt, make sure you do a vigorous 90 minute boil and cool as quickly as possible afterwards so that doesn't wind up in your beer.

@kyle1111, thanks for the advice with beerschool.co.kr, do use goodbeer.co.kr? Where in the ROK are you brewing?
I've looked at homebrew korea and there isn't much in the way of recipes in there forum. So, do you mash your grains or throw them in the boil since you are using an extract/whole grain combo? I'd love more details on your process.

@OClairBrew, thanks for the advice on the pilsner malt.

i just use the extract as my base malt and the grains i use would just be for flavour, aroma, head retention,
etc. I steep them in hot water, in a grain bag, before I add the malt extract and hops etc. this way you do not need a mash tun. remember the grains you can steep are limited. you can't do a brew with just steeped malt, you have to either use extract or mashed 2row/pilsner etc.
this is a good middle ground between all grain and straight up extract brewing. for more info check out how to brew.com there's a section on extract and specialty grain brewing.

oh, and I'm brewing in wonju. good beer .com seems to have even less in stock than beer school at the moment..

Couple Questions on a first batch.

I'm going for an APA on my first batch with extract. I have come up with this recipe on hopville.

3kg of the Morgan's Amber LME
500g of DME

28g of Casacde at 60 min
14g of Cascade at 30 min
14g of Cascade at 10 min

1 vial of WLP001

This will give me
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.014

ABV: 5.9%

IBU: 31.6

Style wise it is everything I am shooting for in a first batch, but like everyone else I want to be relatively successful first time out. I'd love feedback.

Flying there in dec, can I bring you anything? Think I am flying into seoul, then heading to the middle, visiting KWater, where ther hq is.

thanks milldoggy, I'll be stateside in Jan-Feb so I can pick up supplies, but good looking out.

Keep your fermentation temps in the low to mid sixties ( Fahrenheit ), scratch that I was thinking of wyeast. I like to ferment that low, I'd go high sixties for wlp001.

Totally late to the party here but homebrewing in Korea is changing very rapidly. We now have access to 2-row, munich, vienna etc at bulk prices. Check out homebrewkorea.com for more information or any of the local facebook groups; "Busan Union of Brewers", "Daejeon Brewers Guild", and "Seoul Brewing Club".

I think you'll find the brewing community MORE than accommodating.

Back