Reached FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cg17

Reaction score
Morning all

I have a brown in my fermenter and it has reached its FG. Is there any benefit to leaving it in the fermenter for a while longer? Will it clarify a bit?

Yes, hitting final gravity doesn't mean the yeast are done, they still do a good bit of work on cleaning out the off flavors, the more yeast available to do that the better they will do their job. For instance, if you ended up with high levels of diacetyl and you rack off the yeast you could end up with a serious flaw because the remaining yeast in suspension are not enough to clear out the diacetyl. I would keep it on the yeast for at least a week if you are inpatient, a month is more my standard though.

Thanks, thats what I thought.

The instructions states to bottle after 7-10 days but after reading this forum I have become far more inclined to follow y'alls lead rather than some HBS brew instructions

Back