Hops Direct 1lb bags on the heavy side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
So I recently repackaged 2lbs of HopsDirect hops (1lb Cascade, 1lb Amarillo) into 2oz portions with a FoodSaver.

However, I noticed that both bags seemed to be a bit heavy, esp on the Cascade. I ended up in total with 18 2oz bags and an extra 6g. Obviously that weighs out to over 2lbs. I thought my scale was nuts, but I see others saying the same about HD's own Belma strain.

Is anyone else experiencing this with their HD orders?

Usually get an ounce or two more whenever I get a pound from them. Unless my scale really sucks or something.

Awesome to hear! Thanks guys. I'm pissed I missed out on centennial and Citra though

Pellets should be available end of October or beginning of November. Keep an eye out.

Meh.....you can always get those, but leaf hops are a different story. I find leaf hops to leave cleaner flavors and require less clean-up when kegging beer. Namely the fact that you dont have to worry about an insane layer of hop dust being sucked up by your siphon.

:eek: I drink hop dust....

With kegging it's usually not a problem. With bottling though, it can be an issue. I once ruined a batch because I got too much hop dust in my bottles, and it got this sour grassy flavor. Was great at bottling time, but a disaster when I cracked open the first carbed one.

I just split up 3 lbs from them. Ended up with close to two onces over for all of them. And that was after sorting out most of the stems and such.

after sorting out most of the stems and such.

You gonna roll that up into a fatty? :D

Seriously though, it's awesome that they do that. Plus, leaf hops have slightly less utilization, so it's nice to have extra on hand.

My citra and belma bags were both 2 oz over! Customer for life here lol

You gonna roll that up into a fatty? :D

Seriously though, it's awesome that they do that. Plus, leaf hops have slightly less utilization, so it's nice to have extra on hand.

Man after my own heart!!! I was gunna say,What the hells wrong with a good bag man!? A bag a little on the heavy side got the dealer more business. So he'd keep on doin it for his usual customers. Obviously,I remember something of the cheech-n-chong days....:drunk:
Never ***** about a good bag,5 fingers of joy to be apprecieated.

It is the dorm room weed seller's business plan. You always go back to the guy with the fat sacks. (Or so I hear.)

I always find 18-20 oz in a Hopsdirect 1lb bag. Your scale is fine.

Back