Question : Power (amp) draw of a chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Hi,

My system consists of 2 chest freezers (1) 5.1cf and (1) 7.1 cf. the smaller one i use as a fermentation chamber, and the 2nd I use for keg storage and conditioning. I had been using 1 ranco controller, and rotating it between ferment and conditioning freezers. i just bought another ranco so each has its own. can i run both these off one 15 or 20 amp circuit ?? not sure what the continious amp load for one freezer is when its running. I know there is a power spike when they start. thanks

Both freezers should have tags for amps, volts, refrigerant type and charge amount. Older models may use more amps, my 20 cu inch is rated at 5amps, while my 7 is rated at 3.2amps and the 2 keg mini fridge is 1.2amps all on a dedicated line. Plus odds they will not all be starting at the same time.

Both freezers should have tags for amps, volts, refrigerant type and charge amount. Older models may use more amps, my 20 cu inch is rated at 5amps, while my 7 is rated at 3.2amps and the 2 keg mini fridge is 1.2amps all on a dedicated line. Plus odds they will not all be starting at the same time.

What do you use a 20 cu.in. freezer for? It could make one large ice cube. :D

Back