Right hop variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am pretty new to this and have a few questions about a recipe. I just bought my ingredients, but now am unsure.

3 lbs Amber DME
3 lbs Light DME
1 lb Crystal 40L

hops:
2 oz Tettnang (5.1%)
1 oz Hallertau (3.9%)

Yeast:
White Labs East Coast Ale Yeast (WLP008)

I was heading for a highly hopped Pale Ale / IPA type .

My questions are:
- Does this list sound good? Will these hops work out for a higher hopped ale, or should I go with a different variety?
- What should the hoppin schedule be?

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Seriously wrong hops for an IPA. These are noble hops commonly used in lagers.

Try the 3Cs: Columbus, Chinook and Cascade.

Let me ammend this ... I know this isn't an IPA, I was heading for something along the lines of a Boston Alse ... but I really can't think of what this would be ... maybe a higher hopped amber? I am really just curious if this would even be worth it, or should I try something else.

I have to second david's opinion. Those are the wrong type of hops for what you are trying to do. The tettnang and hallertau are going to go far better with something darker as a bittering hop (think stout, porter) or a traditional lager.

In addition to the three that david mentioned, you may also look at amarillo. I brewed an amber not too long ago that I hopped up to about 34 IBUs using a combination of Cascade and Amarillo. It turned out quite well. I used an ounce of each Cascade (8.6) and Amarillo (7.8) and split them up into .125 (1/8) of an ounce portions. I did a 1/8 ounce addition of each at 60, 45, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10 and 5 minutes. The beer has a nice floral/citrusy nose and enough bitterness to offset the malt of the amber.

I don't see any reason not to use that recipe.
For a hop schedule try
1oz Tett for 60
1oz Tett for 30
1oz Hallertau for 15

or

1oz Tett for 60
1oz Tett for 15
1oz Hallertau for 5

Try one of the free online recipe calculators to
see what your OG, FG, and IBUs will be.
The Brewer's Recipe Calculator

I think the recipe looks decent, but not an APA, or IPA. It would make a nice light amber beer with a balanced level of hops that give it a continental flair. I like harry dogs second line up.

1 Tett @60
1 Tett @15
1 Haller @ 5 or maybe 2

Yeah, I used that calculator and I fall right in all the ranges for an APA, which is why I was concerned about my hop choice. While I get the right IBUs (36), I was just curious about the flavor of it.

Like I said, I was thinking about the Sam Adams Boston Ale, and knew that SA use these varieties, I just wasn't sure what brews they used them in.

I know that I am off on the hop choice, I just wasn't sure what the beer would turn out like.

Anyone have any commercial examples of what the end result might be?

My 0.02 is that you should brew what you like. You give what you've got a try. It'll be good, maybe great. Next time, change it up and try some different hops. That's the beauty of brewing it yourself, you're in control and can Adjust the beer to your tastes.

Well, I answered the question you asked.

In response to the second round, as a beer it should be ok and sasr's plan would be fine. It will not, however, be highly hoppy. I've got a brew in-keg that is similar, with some Vienna and C120L. It's coming along nicely.

OK, I got the point .. for an APA or IPA ... poor hop choice.
I ran out today and found some Cascade on sale ... $10.99 for 1 lb!!

So now back to one of my original questions... what would a good hop schedule be
for a strong IPA. I also have purchased another lb of Ambre DME.

So now my ingredients are:

4lbs Amber DME
3 lbs Light DME

1lb of hops at my disposal.

I really am not sure about the hop schedule.

should I add a half oz every 15, or more? or start off with 2 for 60 min, then an oz every half hour, ending with another for the last 2?

Also, I only have 2 buckets, primary and bottling, so I don't have a secondary. I've read to dry hop in a primary let ferment until the airlock stops, then open any throw in the hops .... is this a good idea. If so, would a1 oz be a good amount to dry hop?

Thanks for the input guys.

10.99/lb for Cascades? You won the lottery! Where did you get them?

For an IPA, I'd hop like this...
60 min - 2 oz
20 min - 1 oz
10 min - 1 oz
0 min - 1 oz
dry hop - 1 or 2 oz
With this, you'll definitely know whether you like cascades or not.;)

For an APA, drop the 60 and dry hop to 1 oz and leave out the 10 min addition.

For dry hopping, it is paramount to get the hops in contact with the beer. Use a hop bag and weigh it down with some washers or marbles until it just sinks below the surface but doesn't 'thunk' on the bottom of the fermenter. Sanitize the bag and weights of course.

There's a lot of good advice on this site for dry hopping.

Back