Help with my March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I think I f'd it up.

I wanted to swap out the three leads with a proper cord, so I started taking apart my pump. By the time I realized I wasn't going to be able to remove the three leads completely and replace them with the cord only (since I didn't want splices) I'd taken the entire pump apart. So I spliced the leads with my cord and plugged it in. It hummed, but the magnet won't turn. It feels like it's either stuck (which it's not) or the magnetic field isn't rotating.

What can I do to fix it?

Oh man, that's F'd. Does this motor have brushes that you might have dislodged off the armature? I made the splices in that little junction box. No harm in that. If you were worried about water, you could fill up that box with silicone.

Pull the pump head and check to see if the motor shaft is bound up, if motor runs check alignment when assembling pump to motor body. Likely cause is misalingment during re-assembly of the motor.

Since I live about 15 miles from March's headquarters, I sent them an e-mail asking for some advice putting it back together. This was addressed to their Customer Service Manager:

Me said:
So I was trying to change the wiring on my 809 from the 3-leads to a
real plug. I opened the case and pulled up the plastic connector for
the Black/White wires, but then put it back in place when I saw the
leads were lacquered. I pulled out the drive shaft, but then put
everything back together. Now when I plug it in, I can't get the
magnet to turn.

Any suggestions? I live near Schaumburg, so if you guys can help I can
bring it in some day.

I got a reply this morning:

Joe Dornik - Customer Service Manager said:
we do not build the motors here, at the factory, there is no WARRANTY, at
this point, because you took the motor apart, IF you need a new one ,i can
give you names of new customers, in the area, too help you out, thank you

So basically: if you have issues with your March pump, buy a new one or find some help on your own. Don't bug the CSR's with questions. And their grammar sucks.

I don't think you did any permanent damage to your pump or motor. Follow kladue's advice above, and I think you can salvage your pump. Pretty sure that pump motor has no brushes to worry about.
I disassembled mine when it was new to add the cord and realign the pump 90 degrees. I believe I had the same issues as you have, but was able to free things up and have had zero problems since then.

processhead said:
I don't think you did any permanent damage to your pump or motor. Follow kladue's advice above, and I think you can salvage your pump. Pretty sure that pump motor has no brushes to worry about.
I disassembled mine when it was new to add the cord and realign the pump 90 degrees. I believe I had the same issues as you have, but was able to free things up and have had zero problems since then.

Any hints as to what you did to fix it?

OK, great news. I called March and they told me they couldn't help since they don't make the motor. So I found the name of the company that makes them (Fasco) and called there. I got in contact with a guy named Clayton - nicest guy in the world. He got another guy on the phone and they gave me a few pointers. When I still couldn't get it to work, they told me to just send it to them and they'll not only fix it for me but they'll put the cord on better (no splices).

Kudos to Fasco Industries. If any of you are in the position to do business with them, I give them a BIG thumbs up for customer service. March's service was disappointing, but Fasco - WOW. They're in Cassville, MO and just really, really nice guys. I wish I'd called them earlier so I'd have it back for this weekend.

March's solution was to buy a new pump. Fasco's solution will cost me $10 in shipping.

Magnetic pumps are pretty much indestructable unless you let them run dry in which case they will overheat. You probably just didnt have a bearing lined up correctly. Most of the times there is a bearing on the end of the shaft that stays inside when you remove the shaft. This bearing usually gets lost or gives you a hard time getting the shaft centered inside it. Ive had saltwater aquariums for years nd have had to take apart plenty of magnetic pump motors.

Glad to hear that they can help you out. Sounds like you have a solution to your issue.
On my pump, I believe I just loosened the screws that attach the motor to the pump end and shifted the alignment slightly so that everything rotated freely. Then I tightened everything back up again, end of problem.

Meant to post -

Fasco rocks. They fixed the problem and promptly shipped it back to me at no charge. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to buy a motor. Clayton was just the nicest guy to ever talk to.
AAAAAAAAA++++++++++ to Fasco.

My pump is fixed, now I just need to find time to brew.

Back