Re-using mini kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapdragon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm looking at getting some a mini keg set up. ( I have a limited space, almost completely taken up by my 3 carboys)
i'm wondering if it is possible, or if anyone has re-used a liquor store purchased mini keg (i.e. heineken mini keg). You can get them almost anywhere, and if you can you might as well get one full of tasty beer you can drink while you tasty beer is fermenting.

I know i'll probably need a couple of things that mini kegs set ups come with like a co2 tapper. They are not that cheap empty, so why not get one that already comes with some beer?:mug:

I think a couple people have gotten it to work, but the end result was not worth the undertaking.

there's some re-usable european mini-kegs out there, and a CO2 tap for them that use the same bulbs as portable keg chargers use.

I hated working with mine back in the day. the bungs where a whore to get in, and worse to get out.

i use em but the bungs are PITA insert, seat, removal all suck. don't run em with co2 use em for seasonals like wits and saisons. take em to bbq's and such:rockin:

I have a tapping system for them that I picked up as part of a CL score, but havent used it yet! Its a Fass-Frich (sp?) and has some bungs to go with it. I was thinking about putting some of my Oktoberfest into one and seeing how it goes... Also, I broke the handle that came with mine, does anyone know where to get a replacement?

Thanx everyone, it sounds like too much trouble for me. I'll prolly get a Tap-a-Draft system.

does anyone use and like these

Back