Best Burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I just started doing AG batches, and I currently have one of these :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Propane-Turkey-...ryZ20674QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It worked fine when it wasn't too cold outside, and with low gravity brews. This past weekend though-it was quite chilly, and I was doing a big beer and it was a royal PITA to get it boiling (not to mention all the propane I burned). Any suggestions as to a better burner so that I could more effectively and efficiently boil 6.5 gallons-regardless of the gravity?

I have a similar burner that worked OK, but when I put a new regulator on it, it started working awesome - I can get my keggle to a boil in less than 10 minutes.

BrewDey said:
Any suggestions as to a better burner so that I could more effectively and efficiently boil 6.5 gallons-regardless of the gravity?
Im very happy with my Banjo Burner. I upgraded from a 170k btu burner similar to OP link. The multi jet setup and needle valve setup on the banjo allow very fine tuning. The flame is spread evenly around the 10" burner. And the housing wraps tightly around the burner acting as a very efficient wind guard.

have you tried adjusting the air to propane mixture? the little silver disk/plate that spins.

you might not be getting as hot a flame as you could if the mixture is off.

malkore said:
have you tried adjusting the air to propane mixture? the little silver disk/plate that spins.

you might not be getting as hot a flame as you could if the mixture is off.

Yeah-I messed with that while brewing. It didn't seem to help much-but I could have been doing it wrong too. I'll experiment with it outside of a brew session and that should give me a better picture.

Also, if you turn on the LP tank and the regulator isn't completely closed, there's a safety valve on the tank that won't allow the LP to flow at full pressure. I've had this happen to me a few times. To reset it, you disconnect everything, close all valves, reconnect, open LP tank, and then open the regulator. Might be worth trying.

A couple things can be going on here...
1) I couldn't find a BTU rating for it, though Ive heard of folks using as low as 65,000BTU.

2) When propane is used in low temperatures, it looses efficiency. It has to do with the boiling action of the liquid propane inside of the tank.

3) If the tank is low or providing low pressures (see 2) your regulator may not be properly locking up. This could cause lots of problems with flow and pressure.

4) A wind deflector makes a big difference outside. As can a nonflammable foil insulation wrapper. Search the forum for tips.

5) Upgraded regulators can often be purchased (again search the forum). Just be careful that your air mix and burner can sustain the increased BTU.

6) NO MATTER WHAT, your flame should be blue with yellow tips. This ensures efficiency.

I had the same problem this past weekend. My tank was low and I could not get a rolling boil. I switched to a full tank and had it boiling in no time.

Back