Soldering an RTD to a Panel Mount Conector

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
I am going to start building my Control Box for my RIMs Tube. I bought a panel mount conector for the RTD because I want to be ablle to disconect all wires from the control box.
Has anyone soldered one of these? I have 3 wires, 2 red and a white. I opened the factory soldered end of the probe to see which connectors are on which pins, and cannot see any difference to the 2 red wires. They are soldered to pins 2 and 3 and the twisted together with the white. do I have to un-twist all the wire to make sure I connect the right wires to the right pins, or am I missing a mark somewhere?
Thanks!

I ordered temp sensor and panel connector from Auber and I must have ordered the wrong thing. They sent me a 2 wire probe w/cloth insulation instead of the 3 wire RTD. I'm assuming what I have is a thermocouple instead of the RTD, but as long as it works I don't really care. Either way, I soldered it in place last weekend. It's kind of a pain because the connectors are so small, but dabbing some solder on the tip and then putting some on the connector and the ends of the wires prior to soldering everything together helped. IMO, 63/37 solder a little easier to work with than the 60/40.

The easiest way to trace wires is with a multimeter. Do an ohm check or a continuity check to see which ends terminate at which ends. If you don't have one, buy or borrow one. You'll want/need it for building/troubleshooting your control panel anyway.

I'm good on the soldering part, its just differenciating the wires. I do not want to have to cut and un-twist and have to put it all back.

The easiest way to trace wires is with a multimeter. Do an ohm check or a continuity check to see which ends terminate at which ends. If you don't have one, buy or borrow one. You'll want/need it for building/troubleshooting your control panel anyway.

Wow, didn't even think of that. Plus I just realized I am going to need to cut them any way.
Thanks.

First, it doesn't matter which red wire is which. As long as the two reds are soldered to the two red terminals (#2 & #3 on the connector I believe), and the white is soldered to terminal #1. It does matter, however, that all the wires have the same resistance (all same length). Also, if you look really closely on the connectors, there are embossed numbers next to each pin. The end of the cable that came with the RTD has a "T" embossed on the connector (not numbers); that end has to connect to the RTD probe. It will connect to the panel mount QD, but the PID won't work if connected that way.

TB

EDIT: not sure if you've seen this, but my post here shows how I made my RTD connectivity.

First, it doesn't matter which red wire is which. As long as the two reds are soldered to the two red terminals (#2 & #3 on the connector I believe), and the white is soldered to terminal #1. It does matter, however, that all the wires have the same resistance (all same length). Also, if you look really closely on the connectors, there are embossed numbers next to each pin. The end of the cable that came with the RTD has a "T" embossed on the connector (not numbers); that end has to connect to the RTD probe. It will connect to the panel mount QD, but the PID won't work if connected that way.

TB

EDIT: not sure if you've seen this, but my post here shows how I made my RTD connectivity.

Thanks Tiber. I did go through your build, but didn't remember you showing that. I am going to look through it again now and see if I can answer any other questions I have on my own.

Latest posts

Back