Boulder, Co bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccarthy

Reaction score
Im heading to Boulder in a few weeks and Im looking for some locals advice on some choice bars. Im going to hit some of the breweries in town but im looking for more. any help would be appreciated.

P.S. A bar that sports Rus. River and perhaps 3 Flloyds beers would be nice.

There are several bars around the Pearl Street and Walnut street area (the Foundy, the Original Old Chicago, the Walrus). I would take advantage of the local beers while in Boulder. Boulder Beer has a tap house off of wilderness (near Valmont and Foothills). Avery has a tap house off of East Arapahoe and a new brewer is upslope in North Boulder. Longmont and Fort Collins each have several breweries.

I'm not familiar with any place in town that has Rus. River or 3 Floyds on draft. 3 Floyds doesn't have any distribution in Colorado as far as I know. My suggestion is to head over to the Mountain Sun on Pearl St - its between 15th and 16th, just after the street mall ends. Avery's taproom is good as well but a bit out of the way (55th and Arapahoe). The Walnut has some decent beers but their selection is hit or miss and if you've been to a Rock Bottom chances are that you've had most of it already. I'd suggest the Draft House (on 13th, north of Pearl) over the Walnut but there's no reason you can't hit all of them.

Aside from the Mountain Sun/Southern Sun my big recommendation would be Oskar Blues but you'll have to drive a bit out of town.

thanks for the responses. unfortunately ill be hoofing it the whole time im there so my forays out of town will be difficult. i pretty much suspected that the pearl st area the hill would be where most things were.

Where are you staying in Boulder?

The hill is a waste of time, except for the Sink, they have a decent selection.

For Pearl St. area:
- Mountain Sun (take is easy, the beers kill you the next day, they are great but serve them all very very green), South of the Border Burger or the Pollo Asada Burrito are the way to go, note, they only take cash/checks

- Old Chicago's has a great selection of local beers

- The Lazy Dog has a decent selection of locals

- BJ's pizza occassionally has a Russian River beer, have had Pliny on tap there, the beers they make are not great

- Haven't been to the Draft House yet, it is just Redfish revamped, I have never liked their beers very much

- Walnut Brewery (Rock Bottom with a different name, same stuff) owns Boulder Beer, so many of the beers at the Walnut Brewery are Boulder Beer beers (singletrack, buffalo gold, etc), many are just Rock Bottom beer rebranded...the food is good though and the beer is ok

-If you want to spend some coin, the Kitchen Upstairs is a great restaurant with an amazing (and expensive) beer selection

Most of the bars on Pearl will have local brews on tap though.

If you can figure out the bus system, Avery Tap Room is the place to go, rent a bike if you have to. Boulder Beer is ok, its about 50 yards from my cubicle, so I am a little over it, the food sucks. You can probably get to Twisted Pine Brewery pretty easily takign one bus from Pearl St., they have some good stuff as well.

Back