Yeast Bank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zulufalcon

Reaction score
I'm starting to cultivate yeast. What are some the more versatile yeast strains that everyone needs to have on hand?

I try to keep a few of my favorite ones on hand: Dennys Favorite 50, 3068, Four Peaks house strain, WLP007, 2206, and 3711.

These along with a stash of S-05 and Notty cover most of my favorite beers.

It depends on what you like to brew, but 1056/001 is the standard clean strain that is extremely versatile...

If I brew it, I keep samples.

This thread has me thinking though, I need to make some changes. I am using mason jars, but I am quickly running out of room. Think I'll downsize to test tubes.

I like to at least have WLP001 and a Belgian strain like WLP500 or 550 and, if you do British style beers, your favorite British strain.

Wig said:
If I brew it, I keep samples.

This thread has me thinking though, I need to make some changes. I am using mason jars, but I am quickly running out of room. Think I'll downsize to test tubes.

What would you recommend for sealable test tubes? I don't have any wyeast vials andneed to store some.

What would you recommend for sealable test tubes? I don't have any wyeast vials andneed to store some.

Depends on what you are doing for a yeast bank. Washing? Than the white labs vials would suffice. If you are going to slant, then you need somethign autoclavable and can withstand high temps.

I got these.

I try to keep things that I can't buy. My favorite is Pacman and it can be difficult to get at times. I have also harvested the strain used in SN Kellerweiss and a belgian strain used by a local brewery. I have also started taking a few samples from the commercial strains as I use them. See the sticky thread 'Yeast Slanting' for instructions. I slant and plate on agar.

Back