Anyone add antifoam directly to the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumstigedy

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience adding antifoam directly to the fermenter? I have thought about doing this to reduce foaming during aeration (which I perform with a sintered airstone and aquarium pump) and foaming during fermentation. I am hesitant to do this because I am worried about infection. If anyone does add this to the fermenter, do you sanitize it and if so how?

thanks!

That was/is the original use of fermcap, in the fermenter, adding it to the boil is actually the secondary use for it.

As long as you haven't mishandled the part of the eyedropper that is kept in the liquid, and you haven't spat in the vial, it is no more less sanitary than any other product we use that has an applicator of some sort stored in it.

i used to use it in the boil before switching to a keggle, 6.5 gallons in a 7.6 gallon pot was very tight. Now i still use it in the fermenter for things ike my Hefe as i am too lazy to start out with a blowoff tube.

i used to use it in the boil before switching to a keggle, 6.5 gallons in a 7.6 gallon pot was very tight. Now i still use it in the fermenter for things ike my Hefe as i am too lazy to start out with a blowoff tube.

Make an All Wheat brew, you'll use it in your keggle again! :mug:

Back