Starter and Decanting Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primalyeti

Reaction score
Hello hello everyone,

I am going to be making my first starter tonight, and I have a few questions. I snagged a 1L flask, and was told to add 100 grams of DME to 800ml of water, so I figured I'd go that route.

My question is, if I pitch the yeast tonight at say 7pm, let it ferment over night and through tomorrow and then toss it in the fridge at say 5pm, would I be able to decant it and have it ready to pitch in to my wort at around 9pm, or should I put the brew day off to Wednesday instead?

Cheers!

I wouldn't worry about decanting. Swirl it up and pour it all in. RDWHAHB

Cheers!

It is unusual to make a starter with such a high OG. Stick to 100gms DME to 1000ml water which will yield a little under 1.040.

primalyeti said:
Hello hello everyone, I am going to be making my first starter tonight, and I have a few questions. I snagged a 1L flask, and was told to add 100 grams of DME to 800ml of water, so I figured I'd go that route. My question is, if I pitch the yeast tonight at say 7pm, let it ferment over night and through tomorrow and then toss it in the fridge at say 5pm, would I be able to decant it and have it ready to pitch in to my wort at around 9pm, or should I put the brew day off to Wednesday instead? Cheers!

You should be fine.

But like the guy said above, why the higher OG starter? There is a small chance the starter won't be done by then since it's a bit on the high side. If u are worried about it wait 28-30 hours. It will be done by then and ready to chill.

I went with the 100g to 1L route. I thought 100g to 800ml would give me the 1.030-1.040 OG desired, my bad!

I'll play it by ear, see how it looks tomorrow when I get home from work. I'll probably just put off brew day for Wednesday just to be sure!

Next step is to build a cheap DIY stir plate! Any good resources? The brew after this one is going to be on the big side, so I'll probably have to "step it up"

I let my 2L stirplate starters go 24 hours then fridge them for 12-24 before decanting 75% of the wort.... then a few hours at room temp to wake my girls back up.

A non stirplate is going to take longer to use up the available nutrients vs an aerated/stirred one.

Latest posts

Back