First all grain ever...OG too high.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTarnamins

Reaction score
Tonight was only my second batch and first all grain. Stainless braid on Gott cooler was perfect.

Wort was 1.040 at 140° and 6.2 gallons. Pro mash had told me to add 1.3 lbs of DME to hit target of 1.052. at the end of boil and cool down I hit 1.070. Holy cow, too high. Must of boiled off too much

I added extra O2 to help start. The wort tasted good, better than the first batch in which I burnt the LME.

I just received fresh cascade hops from Yakima. This will be the highest gravity Mirror Pond Clone ever.

Any advice on targeting the boil off? Maybe I should always add water at the end.

Well at 140°F and 1040 your actual gravity at 60°F was 1052 so you hit target gravity preboil

If you boil 6.2 gallons at 1052 to 5.5 gallons your gonna end up with a gravity of 1059 without adding and DME.

Most published recipes state the efficiency its based on (usually 70/75%) so you was spot on for the recipe up to the boil at least.

Pro mash must have freaked out last night. I swear it told me 40 points at 140° was actually 42 points.

So how many home brews am I supposed to have when brewing?

Oh, well, I performed a dilution anyway so I should be close.

I never expected 75% efficiency with batch sparging, sweet.:rockin:

I cannot just let that slide.....Batch spargeing is very efficient, 85 - 90% is not an unreasonable expectation.

Back