Do these hop combinations go good together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbtech

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were certain hops that can be paired with each other, and ones that shouldn't. I am making a Nut Brown Ale extract soon and was going to use Cluster for the bittering, and Fuggles for flavor and aroma. However, I really like Amarillo and I have some extra in the freezer. Could I use the Amarillo with these two hops? I am using 1oz. Cluster, and 1oz Fuggles. I would like to raise the bitterness up just a bit so maybe an additional 1oz. Amarillo for the 60 minute boil? Also, is there a book or website that will explain hop varieties and which ones can be paired together? :fro:

Whatever you add at 60 minutes is just going to be bittering. You won't have any aroma or flavor left from the Amarillo. Yes, you can add it but you might as well just add more Cluster. I wouldn't mix Amarillo and Fuggle for flavor and aroma. Stick with the Cluster and Fuggle. Get the book How To Brew by John Palmer. It sounds basic but really covers everything you need to know and has a twenty page chapter just on hops. You can get it on Amazon for about $12 or $20 at Barnes and Noble. I always go back to reading that book and constantly use it for reference when brewing. You can read the 1st edition online at www.howtobrew.com but I think it is a worthwhile investment to go get the 3rd edition at the bookstore.

Back