Yeast Nutrient Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmelanco

Reaction score
So, I didn't get my nutrient and still want ot do ahead with my brew day (I live over an hour form anywhere). What can I substituite for nutirent? Crushed B complex vitiamin? A slice of bread?

I've wondered the same thing about using "Brewers Yeast" vitamin supplements from the health food section of the grocery. It seems like a good/economical idea.

What stops me is the thought that all of the yeasties may not be dead in there, and what might they do to my beer if they wake up and start competing with my selected yeast?

A multivitamin or brewers yeast will do fine for nutrients. You don't have to worry about those pills, they're dried (not like how they dry it for dry yeast packets, they dessicate the hell out of them) crush them to a fine powder then press in a high pressure vice.

Pretty sure they're dead.

A multivitamin or brewers yeast will do fine for nutrients. You don't have to worry about those pills, they're dried (not like how they dry it for dry yeast packets, they dessicate the hell out of them) crush them to a fine powder then press in a high pressure vice.

Pretty sure they're dead.

I know it's an old post but just wanted to clear this up for anyone else looking. The Brewer's Yeast Tablets by Spring Valley are not dead yeast. I'm currently cultivating them in a high gravity wort experiment and they are alive and well.

And equally, no one listed the "usual suspects".

So, a couple of teaspoons of bread yeast that's been boiled in a couple of ounces of water and then left to cool or has been microwaved to kill it off then left to cool.

The vitamin B tablet crushed is also good, as are a handful of raisins.

Don't go over the top with any of the above as like it is with "normal" nutrient, you can add too much and end up with off flavours....

I agree ^^

I used black strap molasses for my last starter.
Which, while it works, with meads if you're making a starter (generally unnecessary when using dry yeasts and the appropriate nutrition), you do have to be careful, as it's quite surprising how strong tasting some molasses can taste and that "burnt" sugar taste can steamroller some of the more subtle honey flavours - which wouldn't be good if you've paid top dollar for good varietal honey.....

Back