Conditioning Temperatures in Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouroboros

Reaction score
Fermentation on my IIPA finished after about 10 days (two gravity readings two days apart). During the period of active fermentation, I kept the beer in a water bath to hold it around 64F. Now that fermentation is complete, is it safe to take the beer out of the water bath?

From what I've read, it seems like that's fine to do if you've racked to a secondary, but I'm not sure about it if you're leaving the beer in the primary. I'm going to be keeping it in my garage, where the temperature has recently been 80-90 degrees during the day. Is there any risk of developing off-flavors by having the beer sitting on the yeast cake and bits of trub at these temperatures, even though fermentation has finished?

IMO now that fermentation is actually done the temp isn't as important. just keep it below 80 to preserve the flavor of the beer.

I would try my best to shield ANY of my beer (purchased, home brewed., whatever) from BOTH high temps (greater than 80 degrees) and from wild temperature swings. Find a cool corner of your house to keep your beer until you are ready to bottle.

Back