Body Harvest Ale!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RushN24

Reaction score
Brewers are constantly pushing the envelope with crazy new techniques but just when you think brewing technique can't get any more eccentric, someone proposes an idea so radical it practically blows your mind. I just finished reading the most recent issue of Zymurgy, and Charlie Papazian just keeps on surprising me with his truly outside the box approach to brewing. In his article, Where the Wild Things Are, he briefly suggests that one could harvest the existing wild microorganisms currently dwelling on each of our own bodies and culture them for the purpose of adding it to beer.

Though he has not tried to do this yet he goes on to conject a basic technique whereby a person swabs the skin with a sterile q-tip and cultures the sample in a 1/4 cup of boiled,cooled, and aerated wort (1.040). Then stepping it up to a larger, more appropriate pitching volume, for a few days upon detecting activity and adding it to secondary.

At first thought you might be somewhat repulsed by the notion, but you have to admit such innovative thinking naturally stimulates the mind. You start asking yourself if you would do this, you argue that it might just be too outlandish, but then again what aren't homebrewers trying these days? It's our nature to be experimental, visionary thinkers.

So what do you guys think? Read the article, it is mostly about toasting hops, which is actually very interesting too, but I thought this might inspire more conversation. Would you try it? Is it just plain crazy, or is it genius. Papazian also raises issues about patents and naming right, using cultures from eminent people such as movie stars, musicians...etc. Also in an effort to encourage experimentation and reassure the apprehensive germaphobe Papazian reminds us "there are no known pathogenic organisms that can survive in beer."

It sounds absolutely repulsive

the more I read/hear about recent articles from papazian the more I think about a crazy uncle, you know the guy that may have had it together at one point, but now mumbles weird things to himself and makes other people uncomfortable... ;)

I do like that hes never even attempted this himself........

Next month in BYO, "Yeast infections, they're not just for vajayjay's anymore!" ...

I don't think I'd try this... and I've tried a lot.

yeah these are the reactions I was expecting. It might spark a little curiosity but it sound like your just asking to make infected beer. I mean we are so anal about sanitation, not touching anything to the wort that is unsanitary, not sucking on the siphon tube to get a siphon started etc...I'm thinking if you want to try this screw the Iodophor, just brew the beer and then dip your feet in the wort at transfer.:ban:

In his article, Where the Wild Things Are, he briefly suggests that one could harvest the existing wild microorganisms currently dwelling on each of our own bodies and culture them for the purpose of adding it to beer."

This is the kind of stuff that makes homebrewers look like weirdos. Just Saying.

this came up on an old podcast. Some artsy fartsy lady was making a designer beer with her own yeasties.

Made me throw up a little.

You down with OPB! hell no, not me.

Original ***** Beer she coined that one. But in retrospect, have you seen her? she's not bad looking and I'd wager that if she's were mine I'd take trips downtown if she wanted.

You down with OPB! hell no, not me.

Original ***** Beer she coined that one. But in retrospect, have you seen her? she's not bad looking and I'd wager that if she's were mine I'd take trips downtown if she wanted.

Never looked her up. Just heard the podcast and that was about enough for me. Off to Google I go.

Returning from googleland. Sorry Gila, but the girl in the Oktoberfest outfit is not her. Toi Sennhauser, is the woman, if you look her up, she is the Thai woman.

Back