Brewing a Double IPA - Double the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airmike

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm relatively new to home brewing and I'm going to try my hand at brewing a double IPA (high gravity) beer. Anyway, I had a question about whether or not to use two packets of dry yeast instead of just one as usual. I will be using Nottingham 11gr packets and it's for a typical 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for your help in advance! :mug:

Hey Guys,
I'm relatively new to home brewing and I'm going to try my hand at brewing a double IPA (high gravity) beer. Anyway, I had a question about whether or not to use two packets of dry yeast instead of just one as usual. I will be using Nottingham 11gr packets and it's for a typical 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for your help in advance! :mug:

air mike check out the pitch rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com, plug in your numbers and it'll tell you exactly what you're looking for! Also reference Fred Dujour's webpage www.beerdujour.com and read the 'Brewing High Gravity Beer' article. Both of these should provide all the basic info you need and a inform you beyond the basics. Good luck.

Schlante,
Phillip

air mike check out the pitch rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com, plug in your numbers and it'll tell you exactly what you're looking for! Also reference Fred Dujour's webpage www.beerdujour.com and read the 'Brewing High Gravity Beer' article. Both of these should provide all the basic info you need and a inform you beyond the basics. Good luck.

Schlante,
Phillip

Thank you very much for the links! Now I'm off to get reading!

Ok, so I'm estimating my OG to be around 1.070. According to the calculator, I would need approximately 1.2 packets of 11gram yeast. I think I'm going to go with 1.5 packets unless someone else suggests otherwise.

Latest posts

Back