Bayou Burner and Turkey Fryer Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
At my local Home Depot they have the Bayou Burner. I think it's something like 155,000 BTU, so I know it will brew some beer. However, they also have the one with a 30qt. turkey fryer pot for like $15 more bucks. It seems really light and thin when I pulled it out of the box. My other option is an old keg. Only thing is I have no idea how to get the top off the keg. (I am sure it's on here somewhere). What's the best better option cheap turkey fryer pot or old keg?

Depends on how big of a pot you need. The keggle is obviously a better, stronger kettle but if you're only doing 5 gallon batches your evaporation is real high and it's just overkill.

Brett0424 said:
Depends on how big of a pot you need. The keggle is obviously a better, stronger kettle but if you're only doing 5 gallon batches your evaporation is real high and it's just overkill.

It may be overkill, but I love my keggle.

Spend the $15 and get the cooker pot and use it until you get the top cut out of the keggle. The pots are a lot more rugged than you might think.

I have both, and use both frequently. One isn't necessarily better than the other.

If you like a light pot that heats up quickly, go with the turkey fryer pot. But you are going to also need some foam control (aka Fermcap) drops to manage your boil-overs.

If you want a lot of volume in a sturdy, heavy pot, the keggle is very nice. But boiling and cooling isn't as quick.

I use my turkey fryer pot for heating water, but I bought a ten gallon pot for doing the actual boil. That extra inch or two is important for keeping all your home brew, as I learned when I ejected 2 quarts on to my deck with a boil over.

I bought the same kit and have been very happy with it, and the kettle is very sturdy. I know I'll probably upgrade to a keggle or larger pot at some point, but for now the 30qt(7.5g) pot works great for full boils. When I decide to get a larger kettle, the old aluminum one will become a hot water tank or i'll use if for collecting runnings. If you already have a keggle or a big kettle, go for the larger burner!

This morning I was doing my honey-do list. And I had to run out to Home Depot to get some fence. I picked up the burner with pot for $37.
The directions say to keep the propane tank 25' from the burner. But the hose that comes with it is only maybe 3' long. How dangerous would it be to use the short hose? Should I go get a longer one?
DS

This morning I was doing my honey-do list. And I had to run out to Home Depot to get some fence. I picked up the burner with pot for $37.
The directions say to keep the propane tank 25' from the burner. But the hose that comes with it is only maybe 3' long. How dangerous would it be to use the short hose? Should I go get a longer one?
DS

I use the short hose that came with mine and have not had any problems.

haha, i have that exact same burner and pot (which I think is awesome btw) and I never knew anything about the minimum distance. But then again I never looked at the directions either... As a beginning brewer, I think the bayou burner set up is pretty sweet. It's exactly what I needed to get started and learn the craft, it's only a matter of time before we all upgrade though.

Not to thread jack, but Demon, I was reading your sig and spotted the Watermelon Wheat. It sounds awesome, can you hook me up with a link or recipe??

Get the turkey fryer, I have 3 of them making up my 3 tier brewery. I added a pump and false bottom to the mash tun.

Wow its that cheap? I was looking at that when I was there about a month ago but didn't as I have no real need for a new one... Currently using a 10gal pot and a i dunno how many BTU burner lol. But if its that price hell I'm gonna buy it and a pot.

I also have the Bayou Classic turkey fryer. However, I want to replace the pot with a 40 qt. aluminum pot that my local restaurant supply store sells for $40. The 40 qt. pot in addition to being bigger is much more sturdy than the one that comes with the fryer.

My question is this. The turkey fryer's burner is about 12.5 inches in diameter with a lip around the edge. The 40 qt. pot is 14.5 inches in diameter so would have to sit on top of the lip and extend beyond the circumference of the burner. Is this going to work? Will it still boil 5 gals. as quickly as it does using the original turkey fryer pot?

I also have the Bayou Classic turkey fryer. However, I want to replace the pot with a 40 qt. aluminum pot that my local restaurant supply store sells for $40. The 40 qt. pot in addition to being bigger is much more sturdy than the one that comes with the fryer.

My question is this. The turkey fryer's burner is about 12.5 inches in diameter with a lip around the edge. The 40 qt. pot is 14.5 inches in diameter so would have to sit on top of the lip and extend beyond the circumference of the burner. Is this going to work? Will it still boil 5 gals. as quickly as it does using the original turkey fryer pot?

It would probably work even better, since the lip will 'contain' the flame a bit. That's really my only complaint about the included 30qt. pot in the kit; it's a fairly small diameter. When the burner is on high, i get blue flames kicking out on all sides around the pot. It looks cool, but I think I'm losing heat. With a larger diameter pot, or a keggle I think it would be even more efficient.

Depends greatly on the composition of the metals.... certain ones will heat better than others.

TwoHeadsBrewing - If you are in fact loosing heat youd be better off slowing it down to where it doesnt do that and it might be economically better if in fact you are loosing heat. Best bet is to time both ways. I hardly ever run full blast myself.

Latest posts

Back