Question on SAFALE S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
This is supposed to be a fast fermenting yeast, and Lord it was bubbling away for about 3 days, and then pretty much stopped. It's the "pretty much" thing that is worrying me right now. It will still, about every five minutes or so, burp a bubble. It has been in the fermenter now since Feb 1 and stopped vigorous bubbling on the 4th. Why is it still belching at me?

Im going to leave it in the fermenter until at least the 21st (three weeks) and maybe until the 28th to go the whole month of February (Its an Irish Red Ale that I want to pop a top on March 17).

Any thoughts?

sounds pretty normal, it may still be finishing up, or just gas coming out of suspension. Air lock activity is not as good an indicator as taking a gravity reading. I see no reason to check it before 3 weeks though.

sounds pretty normal, it may still be finishing up, or just gas coming out of suspension. Air lock activity is not as good an indicator as taking a gravity reading. I see no reason to check it before 3 weeks though.

I figured as much, but just wanted to ask to really be sure. This will be my first brew that I actually did RIGHT. Pitched yeast at right temps, fermented at right temps, brewed and steeped the grains at right temps. Im hoping this one shines for me! :ban:

Small things in the environment can cause off gasing. Temperature changes, barometric pressure changes, even walking by your fermenter can do this. As stated, do not use the airlock as a fermentation gauge. Only way to know is to check the gravity. You have the right idea of waiting. 3-4 weeks is usually perferct. Just make sure if you're bottling to give yourself a full 3 weeks @ 70+ *F to carb/condition prior to St. Patty's Day.

After reading 100 posts here that airlock activity is meaningless, I brewed my first two batches. Both did the same thing - 12 hours in, bubbling like crazy. 30 hours in, nothing. I let it sit. Both batches reached expected FG by the end if one week. I now believe the regulars on here when they say, don't judge fermentation on airlock bubbles.

And on the most recent brew, I was getting a very rare burp from the airlock after 4 weeks but gravity was 1.012...can't imagine it's still fermenting at that point. And it was S-04.

I use S-04 for all my English Ales. Never worry bout bubbles. I let it sit 3 weeks the bottle. Always comes out OUTSTANDING. Have only had one person tell me he like BMC over my ales. To each his own. LOL

Back