Washing Reusable Bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish1320

Reaction score
I just bought 6 cases of reusable 16oz bottles from my local beer distributor. I was going to soak them in oxy clean overnight to remove labels and wash them. After a good thorough rinse, what else do I need to do before using them? Thank you.

My technique is to soak in oxy overnight, rinse well, and toss them in the dishwasher with no soap just to get the high temp sanitize. After that they go in the boxes upside down so no critters get in and die. When I bottle I rinse with star san and fill them up.

That sounds about right, but I personally would soap clean them after the labels come off. Otherwise, you've had them soaking in dissolved adhesives and paper pulp for hours that can potentially become microbe food. Might be a little overly cautious, but I'd rather spend a little elbow grease cleaning bottles rather than ruin a batch at the very last step.

Heck I just soak them till the labels fall off and then rinse them very well with hot water and hang them on the bottle tree to dry. Bottling day I hit them with starsan and off to the rodeo I go.

If you got grunge in the bottom of the bottles though use a bottle brush to insure they are clean.

Buy a vinator. It will make you hate bottling much less. Revvy has a really good thread around here somewhere about bottling.

Back