Pyrrhic Victory ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Blow Leprechaun

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 @ 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 70 F
6.6 lbs Munton's Extra Light LME
.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
.5 lbs Crystal 120L Malt
.5 lbs Victory Malt
.25 lbs Special Roast Malt
1 ounce 5% AA East Kent Golding hop pellets @ 60 mins
1 ounce 5% AA East Kent Golding hop pellets @ 15 mins
1 ounce 5% AA East Kent Golding hop pellets @ dry hopped

Steeped grains in water that was roughly 155 degrees for half an hour, brewed as normal.

Bottled with 2 ounces of corn sugar.

Fermentation times can probably be shortened, but I'm too lazy to take hydrometer readings and prefer to just let things go.

It came out well. It's somewhat like Fuller's, but I think a little fuller bodied. It's definitely more malty than bitter. I liked it so much, I plan on rebrewing it every time it runs out.

I don't get the name of the beer. It looks pretty straight forward. What was the devastating cost? Did you exhaust your supply of East Kent Golding?

Well, I really want to call it BSE ESB, but the thread poster wouldn't let me capitalize all the letters and kept changing it to Bse Esb, which looks dumb.

Mostly it's just because it has Victory malt in it.

I brewed this and it tasted good before I kegged it. A little bready and it had a nice bitterness. Got infection at some point though and now tastes rubbery and sour. Still drinkable after that, so it must be a good brew. I will rebrew this in my new fermenter soon and report back.

Why did you bottle with only 2 ounces of corn sugar? and how long do you condition in the bottle for best results?

6.6 lbs Munton's Extra Light LME
.5 lbs Aromatic Malt
.5 lbs Crystal 120L Malt
.5 lbs Victory Malt
.25 lbs Special Roast Malt
1 ounce 5% AA East Kent Golding hop pellets @ 60 mins
1 ounce 5% AA East Kent Golding hop pellets @ 15 mins
1 ounce 5% AA East Kent Golding hop pellets @ dry hopped

Steeped grains in water that was roughly 155 degrees for half an hour, brewed as normal.

Bottled with 2 ounces of corn sugar.

Fermentation times can probably be shortened, but I'm too lazy to take hydrometer readings and prefer to just let things go.

So for this to be all grain, 10 lbs of 2 row would do the trick right? I brewed something similar not to long ago thinking it would be an ipa, turns out, it was more like an esb. haha, well... great minds I guess.

So for this to be all grain, 10 lbs of 2 row would do the trick right? I brewed something similar not to long ago thinking it would be an ipa, turns out, it was more like an esb. haha, well... great minds I guess.

i just brewed an ESB it was kinda close to this. based it on the ESB recipe by motor brewer in the recipe section. it called for 9.5 lbs of MO i think, and like 1.25 medium crystal? anyway. when i orderd the grain i got a ten pound bag of MO and a pound and a half of crystal, so i just used all of it. still think it should be pretty good. maybe a bit heavier. anyway it was the first batch i needed to switch to a blow off tube. i had a bunch of krausen spewing out the top. it was kinda awsome.... i think i lost my train of thought. yeah i would think 10lbs of 2row would be good

NewWestBrewer said:
Open one at two weeks and tasted very nice but still needed to carb up a fair bit. Looking forward to the final product.

Wow. What difference a week makes. Better carbonation and flavour profile. Very nice ESB. Would brew again for sure.

Brewing this now. I changed the hop additions to 60, 20, 5 to up the IBUs a little. I also put in some carapils to give it a bigger head.

Back