Jumping into kegging!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquidicem

I love lamp!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up my kegging kit from Midwest yesterday. I went with this kit:
7739.jpg

I got the kegs cleaned up, o-rings replace, sanitized, and pressurized last night. The only problem was that one of the gas line has a leak because the Oetiker Hose Clamp isn't tight enough. I'm going to look into that a little more tonight. I've never used these clamps before and may just replace it with a worm drive clamp.
Now I'm just keeping my eyes on craigslist for a chest freezer to keep them in and too eventually add a collar. :ban: :ban: :ban:

got the same kit on Friday - i didn't replace the o-rings and its holding a seal great. Right now I just have 1 keg in the kitchen fridge. - I was happy to find out that turning the other regulator to 0psi does in fact stop the gas flow completely. So with only 1 keg hooked up it doesn't leak.

I bought this kit with the shanks and drip tray about a month ago. I didnt replace anything on the kegs... just rinsed them out and sloshed around some StarSan and filled them. WORK GREAT... I love them! Currently pumping Apfelwein and my Blonde Ale through them... have two other kegs in the garage containing Star San to keep them clean and pump through my beer lines and taps occassionaly.

got this same kit last week too. Good to hear that I don't have to replace the orings. Once my brews are out of secondary, I'm ready to keg! :rockin:

The Pol said:
I bought this kit with the shanks and drip tray about a month ago. I didnt replace anything on the kegs... just rinsed them out and sloshed around some StarSan and filled them. WORK GREAT... I love them! Currently pumping Apfelwein and my Blonde Ale through them... have two other kegs in the garage containing Star San to keep them clean and pump through my beer lines and taps occassionaly.

Be careful with that StarSan in the kegs for long periods of time. I've heard stories of the StarSan "eating" through the Stainless Steal.

Excellent. I did my keezer over the last month or so. It's easily my most prized possession and the envy of friends and co-workers.

I did bleed out my first tank of CO2. I believe the main culprit was a bad o-ring on a keg, but in my investigation I did find some leaks on the regulator and so had to deal with those. Not all that complicated once you get in there and do it.

You haven't mentioned whether you have beer ready for the kegs :D If you're going to wait until the keezers built to serve any beer (and if this is going to take a week or two), you might consider cask conditioning a batch or two.

jay075j said:
Be careful with that StarSan in the kegs for long periods of time. I've heard stories of the StarSan "eating" through the Stainless Steal.

My bottle of StarSan ate into the price tag on the side of it just from a little of its liquid running down the side of it. The tag looks like it got burned off using a lighter or something.

I will check the keg... I have heard of alot of ppl leaving the solution in a keg to pump through thier lines when they needed it..

EDIT: After 2 weeks of being in the keg, I drained it and inspected the tank, no problems, no pitting, nothing, just looks like smooth and shiney SS.

I have 1 batch of Nut Brown Ale almost ready to go into the keg. I'm in the middle of a major equipment upgrade. I'm putting together an all grain system right now as well. The equipment should be ready in the next week or so. The second batch for the kegs should be my first all grain, probably Ed's Haus Ale.

Liquidicem said:
I just picked up my kegging kit from Midwest yesterday. I went with this kit:

I think you will find kegging a little like s-e-x. Before you get started, it can be a little intimidating. The first few times you try it may be a little ackward and clumsy, but it quickly becomes easy and fun. Pretty soon you won't be able to imagine how you got by without it. ;)

Back