Grain Mill opinion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorsemenRugby58

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking up a grain mill with a 7lb hopper for $120 or so. Do you think this is a good investment? Why or why not.

Thanks

I love my Barley Crusher and can't remember what life was like before I could crush my own grain. Grain lasts a lot longer when whole and you can buy bulk. If your AG it's a great investment.

It's well worth it if you're buying bulk. Probably not if you're just ordering kits or single brew sized lots of grain unless you just want control of the crush.

They will pay for themselves over time with savings from buying bulk, longer shelf life of grains, and saving on crushing fees (if you are paying those). It is almost universal that you hear folks say they increased their efficiency when they started milling their own, so there is more money savings. Control over your crush means consistency in your brew.

Full (50#) sack of CO grown and malted base pale = $30.00
Going to local HBS for the same grain, by the lb = 1.75 X 50 = $87.50
Savings of being able to buy in bulk and mill your own = $57.50 on your first 50 lbs alone.

Pretty easy math to me.

Bought one a few months ago and absolutely love it. My efficiency went up over 10 points with no other changes other than milling my own.

LHBS Milled barley $3 - $6 a lb

Maltster 50 lbs $28 - $48

No brainer for me

FWIW I prefer the monster mill to the barley crusher. A little more expensive, lots more durable.

Back