RIS in seconday and I want to add oak cubes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerens

Reaction score
I racked to secondary 4 months ago and I want to add some oak cubes. I am concerned with oxygenation. I can not think of a way to add the cubes with out some splashing. Any thoughts? I am trying to avoid racking it again before kegging.

Cheers!

why not keg it, add sanitized oak cubes, purge with co2 and wait a month or two and taste? Or add a layer of co2 to the top of your secondary vessel.

I only have two kegs and I want to age this for another 3-4 months and that would mean only one beer on tap until the RIS is done. There is a layer of CO2 on the secondary, but wont some O2 get splashed in there with the cubes?

Just go gently and then put a layer of co2 from your tank in top of the beer. Turn your gas down to a couple psi and hold your hose over the container. You can test this with a match or lighter. If it goes out your good.

Sanitize tongs that will fit in bung, lower the cubes in, then hit with co2

Adding them gently won't really do any damage, I wouldn't worry too much about it if it were me.

I agree with BlackGoat... it will be fine. I oak my RIS in a barrel, where O2 easily gets in, but the beer comes out great.

dont worry about it, Your going to pick up a little oxygen anyways

Latest posts

Back