4 week kit almost done, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kr651129

Reaction score
I've got the WE Diablo Rojo kit and they say it's ready to drink at 4 weeks. I'm entering the final stages. I'm adding the last of the packets it came with soon and here's my question. With these cheaper kits will I add a noticeable improvement by racking the wine and letting it bulk age in the carboy? How long should I let it age and should I cover the carboy to protect it from light?

Answers are a strong YES. If you can bulk age definitely do so. Even bottle aging has an impact. You will note changes even a month from now. But in a year that kit wine should be much improved. Try to hold out for 90 days, six months.

Yeah you can bulk age all of the kit wines. They're great right away but they definitely improve. P.S. Saramc, sorry I'm not following you around, I just happen to be going to a lot of these same posts lol.

My experience with those 4 week wine kits is that they don't improve with bulk aging. They are not at all complex, and are drinkable shortly after bottling. Aging didn't hurt it, but it definitely didn't improve it.

It's also a little of a common misconception, or so it seems. It's not really ready to drink at 4 weeks, as much as it could be ready to bottle at 4 weeks. Bottle it at 4 weeks or so, and let it bottle age for a couple of months.

KBentley57 said:
It's also a little of a common misconception, or so it seems. It's not really ready to drink at 4 weeks, as much as it could be ready to bottle at 4 weeks. Bottle it at 4 weeks or so, and let it bottle age for a couple of months.

You got it.

Latest posts

Back