Too much water in full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpydaddy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the middle of a full boil and it looks like I'll be more towards 6 gal. at the end of the hour rather than the 5 gal. the extract kit calls for. Should I continue to boil, toss some of the wort before pitching, or just keep the extra wort?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Don;t worry too much. you will have a slightly lower alcohol content but a few extra beers when you bottle is always a good thing

Boil it longer. and dont add the late addition hops until you get closer in volume. Start the clock again when you add your first late addition hops. If you already have added them, then you will have a lower alcohol beer that will be a bit thinner than you hoped.

Boil longer or have more volume of lower OG beer.... don't just drain wort to hit your volume that's a waste of perfectly good beer :) What is more important is to take note of how much you did boil off for next time.

Thanks all,

The kit only called for 1 bittering hop at :45 left so I pulled them out at the end of the hour. I'll let the boil go for a bit to get closer to 5.5. After I pull some for the hydrometer and lose some in the CFC, I should be close enough to 5.

Thanks again,
Mike

Back