Infected bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilBaron

Reaction score
This does not look appetizing, and I am 6 1/2 weeks into the process. I just bottled these 3 days ago. Here is a video of my test / monitoring bottle. The actual sealed bottles show the same issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
You bottled three days ago, the yeast is swimming around eating sugar, and kicking stuff up, just like inside your fermenter. Do yourself a favor and walk away from your bottles for another minimu 2 weeks and 4 days. Don't stare at them. Don't move them around, don't hold them up to psychedelic disco lights, just put them in the closet like the rest of us, and forget about them til they're ready.

Fermentation (which is what carbonation is) is often ugly and stinky, and perfectly normal.

Yeah, thats normal sediment. I don't touch my stuff once its bottled to let it settle out nicely for at least 2+ weeks. (I'm nervous, I typically drink one at 2 weeks, but it most gets better in another week or two.) Throw it in the fridge for a few days and let it cool down, then ready to go! I avoid moving them at all if possible, I want the final product to be as settled as possible.

I brought some homebrew to a friends house once and he was doing exactly what you are, looking at it, stirring it around. I told him he could keep it, but let it sit in the fridge for a few days before he drank it! We have probably all tasted a beer that was poured with the yeast, its not as pleasant an experience.

Haha those were fan lights. Ok that is good to know. I figured the femernation was completed by now.

Yeah, the primary fermentation is complete. When you ad the bottling sugar though you kick start things again, the yeast eat the little sugar you gave them and produce the Co2 that gives you carbonation

Back