Forgot a lb of grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glomer1163

Reaction score
I am making the White House Honey Ale. When I was done and had pitched the yeast I noticed I forgot to steep the one pound of amber malt with the biscuit malt. I did a mini mash of the grain with a half a gallon of water followed by a quick sparse. I'm going to add wort to the beer. Mind you the beer is only an hour or two old at this point. Ay thoughts on how forgetting a Pound of grain in a partial grain recipe will effect the final product?

Craig

Sounds like you got it corrected pretty quick. Did't you check your OG and see immediately that there had to be a problem somewhere? I would think you missed the OG by a fairly large number, and I would have been like WTF? , till I found the unused pound of grain. Looks like it will be OK now though
Wheelchair Bob

I figured it out with minutes of pitching the yeast. It was during my clean up phase. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Yeah... In efforts to complete the beer I did not bring the second wort to a boil. It is bubbling away today.

glomer1163 said:
Yeah... In efforts to complete the beer I did not bring the second wort to a boil. It is bubbling away today.

You just added a half gallon of not boiled wort? My gut says you just inoculated with a bunch of critters that make things sour. Ever smell day old mash grains? I'll be curious to know if the yeast or alcohol content knocks them out.

Well, I just dumped this batch. Opened it up and saw a thin yellow film on top and a hint of a smell not quite normal.

Back