Another Batch Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
I have only fly sparged for the past two years. To batch sparge Beersmith says, using 11.35 lbs of grain, to mash for 60 minutes then drain the mash tun into the boil pot. Then batch sparge with six gallons of water leaving an OG of 1.044. Is this right and is it that simple? I do realize you must recirculate first to clear the runnings. If this is right, after stirring the six gallons of water in, how long do you let it set before stirring again and draining?

You do not realy need to let it sit at all. Just clear the runnings and drain. If you are not doing a mash out i would suggest getting your sparge water hot enough to get the grain bed up to 168ish, for me this 181. I had an increase of 20% extraction when i brought my sparge temps up.

Yup it's about that simple. After I add my sparge water I stir the heck out of it to get as much sugar into solution as I can. I let it sit for about 5 minutes just to let the grain settle back to the bottom, then vorlauf, then run it off.

Some people will do 2 equal additions instead of a single batch addition. This would require an extra vorlauf but that's about it. I haven't tried this yet but they all report excellent results so that is something you can try as well.

Back