What pocket knife for brew day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
What pocket knife for brew day, or edged helper? I use a Spyderco Manix 2 or an Endura or Delica. The Spyderco Delica is a little more PC, in mixed company.
What do you use for brew day?

Opening bags of hops, bags of grain, cutting string, because I'm out side for 6hrs, I may smoke a chicken. I thought this would be a knife kinda crowd?

What do you use a knife for on brew day?

Opening hops packets, yeast packets, bags of chips while you wait for the strike water to heat up...:ban:

I don't use it specifically for brew days, but I edc a Kershaw Leek or (when I can find it) a Junkyard Dog.

I use a Gerber Paraframe Mini and a Victorinox Sparten not just on brew day but every day.

Knifekits.com FL005 with purpleheart scales. It is my EDC, sharp, hard to dull and pretty( that does not help performance but makes me happy)

Sadly last weekend it went missing. So I might just order an FL009 and leave it stock.

I edc an HK ((I forget model number)

IMG_20120112_213424.jpg

The Katana that is always across my back.

Duh.

:ban:

(Actually, I find a nice pair of scissors best for opening bags of brew stuff)

I use a brown Spyderco Delica 4 ffg for cutting open boxes or bags of malt and my Victorinox Cadet for smaller tasks such as hop packets and yeast.

For a pocket knife it's either my SOG Stingray or William Henry that I've had for years (they don't make the model anymore, and I've forgotten which it was). Both have great steel for the blade (VG-10) and hold an edge for a very, very long time. I made the lanyard that's on the SOG, since it didn't come with anything for one. :D

There are things I open that I don't use the pocket knives for. Then I'm either using my Henckels scissors or the ones I got that are non-stick (Scotch brand).

SOG_&_WH_pocket_knives.jpg

I have a big knife I use for everything that doesn't require shootin'. I found it in my grandfather's shed after he died. From what I could find online, the blade is from a famous German Company, Gustav Emil Ern. It looks like he made the handle himself.

IMG_0446.jpg

Wescott. 8" Titanium blades. 60 degree hand honed edge. Scissors. Blunt safety points for living dangerously while sprinting.

That mylar never knew what hit it.

Depends on the job. If I need to open a bag of hops, I use my EDC Delica 4. If I need to open a fermenting bucket, I use my Dewalt Reciprocating Saw.

I keep a small, but effective and handy Spyderco Byrd Robin 2 at my side. Nothing in a brew day it can't handle.

I use one of these!
Shark-Kinfe.jpg

back in reality, I usually have scissors on brew day but almost always have a CRKT knife that I have had for a number of years in my pocket. dont remember the model though.

I always have a leatherman micra on my keychain. Comes with a pair of scissors on it that I use all the time, as well as a couple of blades, screwdrivers, etc. that I also find handy on brew days. I have even used the tweezers once when I got a particularly nasty splinter in my hand.

I even have this same color.

kxhajlnoyh.jpg

I've got a Buck 337BKS Paradigm Pro that goes everywhere with me. Scissors, on the other hand, I don't carry around on a daily basis. ;)

My daily carry is a Spyderco Police with combo edge. I also have an Emerson design Benchmade that has collected dust since I got the Police.

Tiny Swiss Army pocket knife. Scissors, knife, flat screwdriver, file, toothpick, tweezers.

My old one also had an LED light and Ink Pen, but I lost them and am down to just this. I use it at LEAST once a day for my job and around the house.

Back