is dry hopping IPA in secondary necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bskelly70

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to brewing and have my first batch of IPA in primary right now. My original plan was to let it sit in primary for two weeks then rack to secondary and dry hop for another 1-2 weeks. The more I'm reading I see a lot of people skip the secondary and just dry hop in primary. One concern is that when I transferred my wort to primary I just dumped it all in without straining or anything. I actually like unfiltered IPAs with some cloudiness, but with all of that trub will it cause off flavors or anything? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I don't transfer to secondary. I usually let my ipas sit in primary for a month or more. Never had a problem. I cold crash them before I xfer to the keg. That usually clears things up.

I've moved to dry hopping in the keg with great results. I use a sanitized mesh bag weighted down, and tie dental floss to the bag. I leave the floss extending out of the keg, and pull the hops out when I feel it's time.

The trub is not likely to be a problem if your total time in primary is 3-4 weeks. Personally, I don't see much befit in more than a week of dry-hopping (unless it's in keg at low temp), but YMMV. If you're really worried about a cloudy beer, cold-crash or fine it :)

A month?? Other than the fact that I looove IPAs. I make them because they're keggable (is that a word?) after 3 weeks. I always leave it in the primary...let it do its thing for a week then dry hop for 10-14 days. In my opinion, american IPAs are best fresh. I think that you'll notice that the hop character of your fresh IPAs kick arse over ANYTHING you buy thats bottled. I compared a fresh BMs tits up IPA to a bottled Hopslam...Bier Muncher won.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/

I ferment a week, then dry hop for 2 weeks then cold crash and while not crystal clear, I'm pleased with the clarity. I never have problems with off flavors but then again, I make very hoppy beers and if there are any off flavors, the hops obviously mask it.

I only transfer to secondaries for dry hopping when I plan on washing the yeast. I just feel like I can get cleaner yeast out of the primary with dry hopping in the secondary.

thanks for your help. I decided to just throw them in the primary. It already smells awesome.

Back