question on propane hose to burner on brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for some suggestions to hook up my propane manifold to my burners on my brew rig. How have people gone from the flex line to the orfice at the burner - use a reducer? ??? What size valves and flex line s are common. I've found some good "needle" valves that could control gas flow nicely but they are only 1/4". Most flex lines i've seen are 1/2".

Hi

There are needle valves designed for the specific purpose. They are a little pricey and you don't find them at the local big box store. The other alternative is to use the big box valves and a reducer.

Are you running high pressure or low? If it's high pressure, the diameters really don't matter. You will get plenty of gas. If you have a low pressure system (like for running furnace valves with) you may want to watch the diameters.

Bob

high pressure , 20-30 PSI. have you seen the needle valves in any other size than 1/4" i'd love some flexible propane line in 1/4" if i could find it.

This is how it's done

P1040568.jpg

P1040546.jpg

P1040545.jpg

P1040544.jpg

P1040543.jpg

i'm sure it's not recomended, but this is how i did mine.

2012-05-29_21-45-54_995.jpg

zip ties are there just to get me an idea on how i want to mount it, so ignore those :) the ball valves are touchy as hell. but i'm gonna redo those.. one day... lol

Yes a reducer. Go to tejassmokers.com and look at the parts page. They have anything you need including the needle valves, reducers, and orifices, straight and 90 degree. I used 1/2 pipe to a reducer to a 1/4 needle valve which had a 3/8 male flare on it. I then used soft copper line to go to the burner. Since the orifice also ended on a 3/8 male flare the copper just had a female flare on both ends. I had not done any flare work before but it was easy and the kit to do it was cheap from HD.

OneHoppyGuy, that is a great set up. Is your black pipe 1/2"? Reduced down to 1/4 needle?

I would love to hardpipe mine like that and that was my plan but my stand was not built to the specifications that i asked. My burners do not line up with my manifold. Wish i wouldn't have bought my stand from who i did - now i found out several other people have had issues with this same person.

Wish i would have waited and bought from you. Looks like you do good work. You are always on this forum helping people and providing advice. I was on your site yesterday, i like the new format/layout. If you have a trade in program let me know :)

Trade-ins LOL I like that!
The manifold in the photo is all 1/4"
We only use 1/2" where needed now, like on gas valves and jet burners. Using flexible line is much easier due to the simplicity of hose and because most of our stands are custom sizes. Our manifolds are expensive to build due to all the brass fittings, but the end result is very nice. We aren't stuck on one design, so it will evolve into who knows what...

Thank you for the kind words.

Back