ESB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jar

Reaction score
I'd appreciate some comments on my ESB recipe. I'm planning to make this with RichBrewer's Mini Mash system for extract brewers.

5lbs Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 55
2lbs Muntons light DME

OG 1.052 Color 10.0 SRM IBU 36.0

Batch size: 5gal Wort Size: 3gal

0.5oz EK goldings + 0.5oz Fuggle 60 min
0.5oz EKG + 0.5 Fuggle 30 min
0.5 EKG + 0.5 Fuggle 15 min
0.5 EKG+0.5 Fuggle 0min

I know the hop schedule is probably a little aggressive for the style, but I'm not trying to win any competitions here. I'm a serious hop head, but many of my friends aren't. I'm kinda shooting to straddle between the ESB and IPA styles, to introduce them to the wonderful hop flavors without quite as much bitterness.

In the 2 ESB's that I made there was always at least 2 speciality grain additions. I really like honey malt and aromatic malt as additions to some of the brews that I have done. If it was mine I would cut the crystal back and add at least one of the 2 mentioned above. What yeast were you planning to use?

I was thinking Wyeast 1968, though I just noticed that the suggested fermentation temp range only goes up to 72F. My brew closet normally sits around 72 and sometimes goes up to 74-75. I'm considering 1318 to give me a little more temperature headroom. I'm undecided on whether the lower attenuation of 1968 is preferrable. Can anyone who's tried both weigh in?

Also, I'm considering adding gypsum to the water. Where does this fit in to the brew process? How do I decide how much to use?

The yeast looks like it fits the style. I would personally concentrate on monitoring and maintaining a healthy yeast start and fermentation temperature. If you can find a way to bring the temp down to the mid range of the recommended temperature I think you will get a good result. If your water tastes good I would not spend to much time on adding gypsum. I have never used Wyeast 1968 so I do not have any experience with it. Are you making a starter?

I used 1968 on my Winter Ale. Nice yeast and very high flocculation. Resulted in a very clear beer. I had no issues with bottle carbonation. The resulting smooth taste at such a young age (3wks) was amazing to say the least...

If your already at 72 then your primary ferment will jump significantly due to the yeast making heat... Try a water bath.

FWIW, I really have enjoyed my ESB, I used Wyeast 1098 and used 10,20 Crystal and just a little chocolate for the hell of it.

I was happy with the ESB that I made with the 1968.
I have a best bitter planned for next week and will be using 1335 because it's range is up to 75.

I'm enjoying my second Winter Ale using the 1968 right now. Still green at 3wks in the bottle, but I have to have at least a few to taste it's progression!

I ended up using 1318 because the LHBS was out of 1968. The brew process (my first partial mash) went great. I highly recommend the 3 gallon cooler setup from Rich's thread. Went from extract+steeped to partial mash for about $30 in equipment.

Back