Alberta bans extra-strong beer over binge risk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosper

Reaction score
D'oh! Reason number 458,211 why politicians and bureaucrats all suck balls:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/11/30/calgary-alberta-beer-alcohol-content-ban.html

Alberta bans extra-strong beer over binge risk
By CBC News
CBC News
The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission has banned the sale of beers with alcohol content of more than 11.9 per cent.

Beer lovers can no longer get their mitts on some high-alcohol, upscale brews in Alberta's beer and liquor stores.

The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission has banned the sale of beers with alcohol content of more than 11.9 per cent. The AGLC, which has concerns the beers might be associated with binge drinking, sent out a notification to the stores last Friday.

"We want to make sure that if these high-alcohol products are available, that they are marketed appropriately," said AGLC spokeswoman Lynn Hutchings-Mah.

A spokesman for DeLancey Direct Inc., a Calgary-based Canadian importer of craft beers, said the ban makes no sense. Most of the affected beers are high-end and are not bought by people looking to get drunk, said Christian Finz.

'It's their responsibility to enjoy in moderation.'- Dave Gingrich, beer manager
"Teenagers don't go for these high-end beers," said Finz. "These beers are mostly meant for ... beer lovers, beer geeks that really love their beer. These are sipping beers where you ... have one bottle an evening."

He added that many of the extra-strong beers cost between $8 and $12 per bottle.

Dave Gingrich, beer manager for Willow Park Wines & Spirits in Calgary, said he was "appalled" when he heard of the new restrictions. He said the taste of these high-alcohol beers is similar to that of fortified wine and they should be enjoyed like wine.

"I think, personally, it's just the people. It's their responsibility to enjoy in moderation," Gingrich said, pointing out that there's abuse of every category of drink.

Hutchings-Mah, however, said there's a possibility that some high-alcohol beers could be less expensive and could be targeted at younger drinkers.

The AGLC suspended sales of the beers until a report can examine whether they contribute to binge drinking. That report will likely be presented to the AGLC board next spring.

Stores will be allowed to sell their current stock, but won't be able to order any more high-alcohol beer.

I am pretty sure people binge drink on cheap low alcohol beer not expensive big brews... and here I was thinking canada had all the answers...

I am pretty sure people binge drink on cheap low alcohol beer not expensive big brews... and here I was thinking canada had all the answers...

11.9% is a generous cap. unless there's big difference in the conversion to metric:cross: i'd choose canade > US any day.

11.9% is a generous cap. unless there's big difference in the conversion to metric:cross: i'd choose canade > US any day.

It's not really about the generousity of the cap, it's the lack of basic logic that it takes the pass a law like that.

Anouther example of the state deciding how you should live and what is good for you. I say the state should stay out of peoples drinking habits unless they are to young to drink......

Nonsense. Wine starts at about that ABV.....so why not ban all wine, then? Just more kneejerk unwarranted bureaucratic meddling.

WHAT ?!?!?!? As an uncultured American, I hold Canada to an expectation of Mounted Police, lax pot law enforcement, and super strong beers. What's next - someone gonna tell me that Santa is not real?!?

fwiw i'm from the police state of new jersey:mad: anything seems good in comparison. don't get me wrong, though, it does suck.

Ever heard of all the Barleywine binge-drinking teens in Alberta ? Me neither... I never understood any law that puts a ban on alcohol related items because of elevated alcohol levels: just tax the crap out of it already and still make it available. People will grumble, but it will still sell... Dumb politicians missing on money.

Four_Loko_BlueJan10.jpg

This has to be the reason for the ban. It's been banned in many places in the states recently, and is 12% alcohol. Just over the limit.

Also, marketed towards younger drinkers.

It's no surprise how incompetent our governments are, what's terrifying is how they are trying to get more and more control over our daily lives (and succeeding).

http://blogdailyherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Four_Loko_BlueJan10.jpg

This has to be the reason for the ban. It's been banned in many places in the states recently, and is 12% alcohol. Just over the limit.

Also, marketed towards younger drinkers.

Interesting theory...but why cap the ABV just to ban a particular product!? Why not just ban EtOH/Caffeine combos....that is what is happening in the various states where Four Loko is influincing bans.

For better or worse though, people will find a way around things....4 Loko and other pre-caffinated alco-pops will be banned, but people will still drink their Red Bull tonics or just take No-Doz and drink Boone's !

Oh, and 11.9% is a pretty low cap...I think NC's is somewhere around 14% (although I'd like it to be higher so I could get things like 120 Min IPA and Utopia here...)

If they are REALLY worried about binge drinking wouldn't they be MORE concerned about Vortex bottles? I mean it makes the beer come out faster and it tastes like water, eh?

:cross:

Interesting theory...but why cap the ABV just to ban a particular product!? Why not just ban EtOH/Caffeine combos....that is what is happening in the various states where Four Loko is influincing bans.

For better or worse though, people will find a way around things....4 Loko and other pre-caffinated alco-pops will be banned, but people will still drink their Red Bull tonics or just take No-Doz and drink Boone's !

Oh, and 11.9% is a pretty low cap...I think NC's is somewhere around 14% (although I'd like it to be higher so I could get things like 120 Min IPA and Utopia here...)

I agree with you on all your points. I didn't agree with the Fourloko ban to begin with, as people have been drinking Vodka/Jager and Red Bull for quite some time, and nobody has complained about that. I guess their colorful logos really shot themselves in the foot.

If in fact this Alberta law is against Fourloko, I think they really screwed up here. Like you said, they should've just banned the alcohol/caffeine combos like they've been doing in the states. I don't think that anyone drinking 12+% REAL beers is doing so just to get plastered.

I agree with you on all your points. I didn't agree with the Fourloko ban to begin with, as people have been drinking Vodka/Jager and Red Bull for quite some time, and nobody has complained about that. I guess their colorful logos really shot themselves in the foot.

If in fact this Alberta law is against Fourloko, I think they really screwed up here. Like you said, they should've just banned the alcohol/caffeine combos like they've been doing in the states. I don't think that anyone drinking 12+% REAL beers is doing so just to get plastered.

I don't believe Four Loko and the like are even legal for sale in Canada at all. I've never seen it FWIW.

We have some strange laws about what beverages can contain caffeine. I know back a few years ago soft drinks could only have it if they were some sort of cola. Our Mountain Dew had no caffeine in it. Energy drinks (as opposed to soda) can in some cases. I'm pretty sure energy drinks can't contain alcohol, but I can't find a link to confirm. Its all too confusing to understand, and this law doesn't help.

We just love banning stuff in Canada obviously... My favorite in this province is the new body armor ban. What that is supposed to accomplish I have no clue.

Back