This weekend = first brew in 5 months!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I'm brewing the recipe below, which is an ESB by Evan!. I modified it based on what I have, so some things are different. Other than those changes, does anyone have any comments? I mashing high because I want to balance out the higher attenuation of Nottingham. The mini decoction will also help maintain some maltiness...

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 79.41 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (90.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.50 oz Magnum [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.0 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mashed @ 156F for 45 minutes with mini-decoction

Beer Profile Estimated
Original Gravity: 1.044 SG (1.040-1.048 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011 SG (1.008-1.012 SG)
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM (5.0-16.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 30.0 IBU (25.0-40.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 6.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.39 % (3.80-4.60 %)

That looks great to me- almost chewy from looking at the recipe.

Welcome back to brewing! (Does that mean you can now drink some of your beer?). You're NOT getting your books back, though!

That looks great to me- almost chewy from looking at the recipe.

Welcome back to brewing! (Does that mean you can now drink some of your beer?). You're NOT getting your books back, though!

Yes I can drink beer as long as I pace myself. No more druck for me, but I can still enjoy that wonderful taste...:mug:

Or your IC, burner or BB. However, to show I am the magnanimous sort, I will bring it all to Jersey so you can visit.:D

Welcome back.:rockin:

Thanks man, but I'm brewing in the minimalistic style now. We'll see how long that lasts...:D

I'm thinking you need a brew club or someting...somewhere that you can go and share your beer and experience...that way you'll not get piled under with beer.....not like that's a bad thing.

I'm thinking you need a brew club or someting...somewhere that you can go and share your beer and experience...that way you'll not get piled under with beer.....not like that's a bad thing.

I've tried several times to get to the local club meetings. Something always keeps me from making it. Like tonight I have to take my dog to the vet and there is a meeting (I think), so I won't make it. There is always something! My friends like my beer though and I won't be brewing every week, so I won't get piled under...

Yeah, I just kicked my 2nd keg of this stuff (it's actually a special/best bitter, not an ESB) last week, and it made me a sad little panda when I did. The substitutions you made look fine, so I say roll with it. Great to see you back in the game, mang! Just remember: if you want it to be cleanly malty, ferment that notty at like 62F. The higher up you go, the more esters you'll get.

Glad to see you are back at it. And what great timing to do so! IMHO, this is the best time of year to brew. Football, cooler temps, falling leaves, a hot boiling pot to stand near... what's not to love?! Your recipe looks great, BTW!

Enjoy!:mug:

Just remember: if you want it to be cleanly malty, ferment that notty at like 62F. The higher up you go, the more esters you'll get.

Yeah, that should be easy since the temps haven't broken 60F during the day here...

Glad to see you are back at it. And what great timing to do so! IMHO, this is the best time of year to brew. Football, cooler temps, falling leaves, a hot boiling pot to stand near... what's not to love?! Your recipe looks great, BTW!

Enjoy!:mug:

Thanks, I agree it is brewing season...

Dude, awesome! I thought you had gone darkside and sold all of your stuff. Are you going with the grainbag method we discussed awhile ago?

Dude, awesome! I thought you had gone darkside and sold all of your stuff. Are you going with the grainbag method we discussed awhile ago?

Thanks, I actually picked up a 48qt cooler for $15 so I converted it. It was something I planned on anyway, even before selling my stuff...

Glad to see that you can have beer again.:rockin:

Drinking in moderation is not all that bad. Actually I prefer having a beer a day over having 6+ on a Friday. It's better for you and the best beer in my opinion is the first beer. Everything after that does not come close.

Besides you are no longer a kid. You may as well see how long you can live. Heh.

Back