Impereal IPA mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziewaldo

Reaction score
Making a extract beer and forgot to add the malt until after the hopping any ideas on what it's going to do to my batch?

I was watching an old episode of a brewing podcast, maybe Basic Brewing & they did test brews boiling the hops first for about half of the boil, then adding malt at the end. I can't remember the specifics of why they did it but I don't think you will have any problems. As long as the malt boiled for 15+ minutes, it's sanitized & it might have some unique hop flavors.

I have read (and brewed) a number of beers using all extract or partial extract where they specifically call for most of the malt extract to be added at the end of the boil (either for last 15 minutes of boil, or even in cases of really light beers, at flameout, letting stand for 5-10 minutes with the lid on to pasturize). As mentioned above, you should have gotten better hop utilization, since the wort will be of a lower gravity, and you will wind up with a lighter colored beer not having carmelized the extract as much. Should be all good.

Dry hoping and racking today. Definitely a lighter color. Excited for a final tasting

Back