kegging from primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbo

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging..just set up a 3 keg system with about 7 ft. of line to a 2 faucet tower. I usually brew with DME and seep a pound or two of grain... Is it ok to keg right from the primary or should I let the beer settle some in a secondary first to clean it up. If I do keg from the primary can I just let it stay in there for a couple of weeks to settle out a bit more. If I keg right from the primary will I end up with a bunch of crap in my lines/seals. I'm just trying to save a step..

I keg from the fermenter, but I wait an extra week or two. If the weather is cold, I just take the fermenter into the garage and leave it there two weeks. If you ferment in carboys, you can just watch it clear, then keg.

thanks...after it stops bubbling could I just place it in the fridge a week or so to help it settle out?

Wow, excellent question. I was pondering the exact same thing myself. For those of you that do use this method, are you brews coming out of the keg extra "yeasty" From experience, the secondary will bubble a few times in 12 hours after racking.

Ol' Grog said:
are you brews coming out of the keg extra "yeasty" From experience, the secondary will bubble a few times in 12 hours after racking.

Nope, if you let it sit for a while in the keg, the first pint will be a bit cloudy but the rest of them will be fine. As far as CO2 in secondary goes, most of the bubbles you are seeing is usually just dissolved gas - there is usually very little gas produced in secondary.

Back