Cherry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
Looking for a good Cherry Wheat recipe. I'm attempting to compile one of my own but am wondering about the cherries. The last time I used a cherry extract it was a very long time ago and you could barely taste the cherry. It was more like a straight wheat. I also want to brew one with a mouth feel to it.

I have seen recipes that call for a 48 can of cherries in heavy syrup. To puree them and add it to the pot in the last 15 min of the boil. What do you guys/gals think of that?

Beer Snob

Consider using either frozen cherries or Oregon Cherry Fruit Puree in the ferment and then a small dose of cherry extract at packaging.

My experience: For a 3 gallon batch, I used 2lbs of frozen cherries, purreed in a sanitized food processor and added to the secondary. Personally, I thought it had too much cherry flavor and didn't really taste like a beer anymore, but when I brought some to a tasting session with some of my homebrewing friends, they all really liked it.
It was made with Briess wheat extract, carapils and Centennial hops, 20 ibu.

I used 4.5lbs of frozen cherries (broken by hand while still frozen) in a 5.5G batch and it has a wonderful color, but no flavor. I ended up adding half a bottle of cherry flavoring. Everyone raves about it now. Next time I will try with 10 lbs.

Back