Wit Bear fermentation temp dropped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggrizzly

Reaction score
We went away for the weekend during day 6-8 of my first batch of wheat beer. When I left the fermentation temperature was consistently around 70 to 72 degrees. When I arrived home today the temp was at 64 and the bucket felt cool to touch. Will this cause a problem with the continuation of fermentation?

No experience with wheat beers, but typically, temps around 64° are preferable for fermentation on a majority of ale yeasts.

Either way, dipping for a little while shouldn't hurt. Bringing the temps back up a few degrees will probably encourage those yeasties to finish up, so keep an eye on your SG, and when it's stable for 3 days, you should be good to bottle.

It won't hurt. But your temps for primary should be cooler than 70/72 for a wheat. What yeast did you use ?

I think 64 is a good place to be - I like to start around there and then gradually build up to low 70s after the first week.

The first 3 days of fermentation is the most temperature-sensitive time.

Back