How long before replacing equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I recently had some old brewing equipment donated to me that had some visible signs of mold or some sort of water mold. Is this equipment salvageable? And if so what is the best way to clean it?

is it plastic? if so, toss it

Hmm... I tell you what - you may not need to be so hasty, even if it's plastic. Especially since what you're referring to as "water mold" may not even necessarily be mold of any kind as much as other kinds of discoloration or staining.

Honestly, I've found that soaking plastic brewing equipment for long periods in very hot water with OxiClean can work wonders - especially if you mix it really strong - both as a sanitizer and cleanser. I don't know why you couldn't just give that a try, see how it looks, smells, etc., and then maybe try to brew a relatively unambitious/inexpensive batch with it. The worst thing you'll find is that you should've thrown it out, in which case you'll only be out like $25.00-$30.00 (I've made plenty of delicious, yet simple, recipes within that price range and would be happy to share such a recipe with you if you're looking for one).

Oxyclean free isn't that good for soaking,especially more than a couple hours. It leaves a scale on things where you then have to use a mild acid solution to disolve it,like vinegar & water or starsan solution. save yourself the agrivation,spend the couple extra bucks for PBW. works great at cleaning everything & no friggin scale to clean.
And oxyclean is just a cleaner,not a sanitizer. Never assume that cleaning is sanitizing,because it isn't. Oxyclean & PBW for instance are cleaners only. Starsan & Idophor are sanitizers.
Try to clean all the loose stuff of the equipment that you can,then soak in PBW solution of 1.5oz per gallon of water. Saok for 5-7 days. When I do this,it gets the gunk/residue so loose it wipes off easilly. Then rinse & sanitize with starsan. Starsan is the best,imo. No discoloration like Idophor,& the foam starsan produces breaks down into yeast nutrient. A small bottle of starsan has lasted me 2 years+.

In these cases,I soak in starsan for a few minutes. It can sanitize in as little as 15 seconds or so. But it'd the EPA that makes them put the one minute,etc on the label instructions.

Some old brewing equipment? I'm picturing anything from a 20bbl system to a Mr Beer.

It just a fermenting bucket which I already used, bottling bucket and a racking cane. I figured that I would clean it the best I could, but whats the point when I could just go buy a new bucket for $5 bucks at lowes.

oxyclean free isn't that good for soaking,especially more than a couple hours. It leaves a scale on things where you then have to use a mild acid solution to disolve it,like vinegar & water or starsan solution. save yourself the agrivation,spend the couple extra bucks for PBW. works great at cleaning everything & no friggin scale to clean.
And oxyclean is just a cleaner,not a sanitizer. Never assume that cleaning is sanitizing,because it isn't. Oxyclean & PBW for instance are cleaners only. Starsan & Idophor are sanitizers.
Try to clean all the loose stuff of the equipment that you can,then soak in PBW solution of 1.5oz per gallon of water. Saok for 5-7 days. When I do this,it gets the gunk/residue so loose it wipes off easilly. Then rinse & sanitize with starsan. Starsan is the best,imo. No discoloration like Idophor,& the foam starsan produces breaks down into yeast nutrient. A small bottle of starsan has lasted me 2 years+.

I sanitize everything with star-san prior to to use. I will give PBW a try, can't hurt to clean and sanitize more.

A good long soak in some LD Carlson Cleanser - Cleanser - not Cleaner - should do the trick. Just submerge everything and get all the air out and let it sit over night. Then follow with a good long bath in Star-San...

I still have a bottle of that Cooper's cleaner I'm saving for such an occasion. Some sodium compound,it smelleth of bleach when in solution. It'd be a good soaker for this situation after cleaning if you have it.

Back