New to kegging... co2 problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_pwb

Reaction score
I just purchase a kegging kit, and converted a shiney new mini fridge. It has a 5# co2 tank.

I have tried to force carbinate a keg of my light lager, and a keg of root beer, neither seems to want to carbinate with high pressure and shaking method, my pressure was set at 45PSI and I shook it for about 5 minutes, then left it sit connected at 20PSI for a couple of hours.

When I got my co2 tank filled the gauge showed the tank pressure to be about 800PSI, I cannot hear or feel any obvious C02 leaks, and my tank is down to 500 PSI, showing "ORDER GAS"

How long should a 5# C02 tank last?
Why aren't my kegs carbinating? (they are chilled, and the kegs are refurbished with all o-rings replaced)

Did you hear the gas rushing into the keg when you had it under pressure and were shaking it?
Do you hear the gas when you vent the keg?

Is the disconnect making a solid seal on the poppet?

Unless you want to read and try the "force carbonating" thread method

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

... just put 8 to 10 psi on them and let them set for a week.

If the CO2 bottle is in the fridge, it may show improper bottle pressure, unchilled the bottle should read correctly.

D

Thanks for the quick reply,

Now that you mention it I remember reading somewhere that when the bottle is in the fridge the reading is lower than the actual, I pulled it out to check and within an hour the gauge showed over 100PSI more than in the fridge. I feel pretty stupid about that...

But I have read that bit on force carbing, and I did re-read it, and again re-tried the high pressure quick method and I must have just not shook long enough, the carbination now is excellent.

Thank you so much for all your help...

Now its time to show off the fruits of my labour, and enjoy a few too many beers with some buddies

Eric

Back