Using an aluminum pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
M looking at aluminum pot because I'm on a budget. This will be a second pot cuz I'm gonna brew two beers at a time or just for extra needs. Who makes a good pot that won't break the bank but is good quality any brands better than others ?

I use my 8 gallon pot that I got with a turkey fryer for $60. Brewed over 30 beers with it and it has 0 signs of wearing out. Just don't drop them as the will bend / dent easier then a SS pot.

Look closely online. I found a 50 Qt for 35, there was another member who found a 60 Qt for 45.oo bucks to. The best recomendation is patience and diligence. It will pay huge dividends fairly quickly. I too am building and all grain sculpture and system and have managed to keep the cost way inder the 1800 dollar price tag of the commercial basic 10 gallon set up. So far I am around 1/4 or less and will have a HT, 2 Mash tuns, and a 60 qt BK. It all goes in a beveridge elements kegging system for force carbing. All together with kegging, microscope, hemocytometer, all the kettles, a burner and the iron to build the sculpture I am in for about 350.00 or so. I have to get the CO2 cylinder filled and maybe one or two minor items, but for the most part I am done buying and need to get busy assembling. I also have a corona mill and a stir plate so I can grind grain and grow yeast. My hops will eventually come from my "backyard hopyard". So attention to detail and patience does pay handsomely. An ALL of this is to brew my SECOND batch ever....
Bob

I se my aluminum pot with my turkey fryer as well, I love it......just a heads up when you get it do a 15 min boil as high up as you can, I forget exactly what it does but it's recommended

I se my aluminum pot with my turkey fryer as well, I love it......just a heads up when you get it do a 15 min boil as high up as you can, I forget exactly what it does but it's recommended

The boiling of the water creates an oxidation layer (darker gray) that seals the metal so that it does not give the metallic flavor to your beer.

I would do the first boil for 1/2 hour. Maybe even an hour, then you can get an idea of the boil off rate for your equipment.

Just didn't know if some brands were better than others like bayou was one and I dunno the others got my first at home depot but was trying to find another for less if possible

Back