Huge fermentation, airlock clogged, blowoff clogged, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorJerseyHomebro

Reaction score
So I just threw my American brown ale onto a nice sized yeast cake, fermentation literally started 2 hours after throwing it on. Now its hittin high krausen and its really goin buckwild. Clogged the airlock, then it clogged the blow off tube, i really dont want a giant brown ale explosion in my living room. I just took both out, so the krausen is just running free all over the beer bucket. Is this ok? the rubber stopper is in so it cant really run back into the beer once its out. I really can't think of what else to do besides split it into two batches and recombined them in a week.
Suggestions?

It's fine, just set it in a plastic tub or something until it subsides a bit, nothing can get in when co2/kreusen is running out.

Here's how I dealt with that situation a few years ago. Just had to let it run its course. I have much better temp control now so these things don't happen, well not so violently anyway. Once it settles down just clean it up with starsan & put it back together. Pitching onto a full yeast cake was prolly not a good thing either. All you really needed was a 1/2 pint of thick slurry. Cheers!!!

3-21-2008KrausenBlow1.jpg

I think I'm just going to separate it out and recombine it later on like a did with the oatmeal stout before this. I'm going to work in a few hours and the last thing I want to come home to is a crazy beer covered mess.

no I don't, and I live in norway, where it is difficult to find rubberbands in most supermarkets... I doubt finding simethicone would be easy. It seems like its calming down though, it's been going strong since last night so maybe I can just leave it and let it keep drueling out from the top.

Back