Pizza Port Shark Bite Red Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgwild81

Reaction score
Does anybody have a clone recipe for Pizza Port's Shark Bite Red? I've listened to the CYBI episode and they voted it not cloned. I tried to order the kit from morebeer and like everything I've ever tried to order from them it is out of stock. If anyone has a recipe they would be willing to share, it would be much apprieciated.

Yeah I saw that too. The hops, ibus, and abv are way off. Thanks for trying though. I may just have to email pizza port and see if they can help.

10.5 lbs 2 row
2.25 lbs Crystal 75
.5 lbs. Crystal 120

.5 oz. Centennial @ 60
1.0 oz. Cascade @ 30
.5 oz. Cascade @ flameout
.5 oz. Centennial @ flameout

California Ale yeast WLP 001

A lot of the Morebeer recipes are on their forums.

10.5 lbs 2 row
2.25 lbs Crystal 75
.5 lbs. Crystal 120

.5 oz. Centennial @ 60
1.0 oz. Cascade @ 30
.5 oz. Cascade @ flameout
.5 oz. Centennial @ flameout

California Ale yeast WLP 001

A lot of the Morebeer recipes are on their forums.

That's basically the same recipe they have on hopville. Just thought I would mention it, since the OP didn't seem too interested in that one.

I ran this recipe through Beersmith and got 20 SRM, 28 IBU and 6.9ABV. The ABV is a little higher than the 6 BAdvocate lists. I haven't seen an official IBU, but judging by the tasting notes on BA, I would think there is significantly more hops than this recipe has.

I doubled the hops and it's about 55 IBU.

That's basically the same recipe they have on hopville. Just thought I would mention it, since the OP didn't seem too interested in that one.

I ran this recipe through Beersmith and got 20 SRM, 28 IBU and 6.9ABV. The ABV is a little higher than the 6 BAdvocate lists. I haven't seen an official IBU, but judging by the tasting notes on BA, I would think there is significantly more hops than this recipe has.

You're right the IBUs according to the kit on morebeer should be closer to 55-60. Morebeer's kits aren't exactly spot on sometimes.

jmtwo said:

Thanks for the info. I was planning on running the numbers through beersmith when I got home from work.

I had this beer at Pizza Port San Clemente this evening and it is where I have been trying to get to with my Amber Ales. This beer is simply delicious. As per the IBU's I did a little guessing as per hop utilization and with a 7 gallon boil and 5.5 gallon batch I get 45.7 IBU's by calculating the flameout addition as 20 minute additions with a 20 to 30 minute steep at around 200 degrees F. This is ballparkish in line with what is discussed on the CYBI episode on the Firestone Walker ales and how they calculate steeping late hop additions. If I tried to brew this beer I would figure on a flameout steep and would calculate IBU's as such.

I also get an SRM of slightly above 20 but with a 5.5 gallon batch and calculator set at 70% efficiency I get exactly 6% abv with a 1061 og and a 1015 fg.

With over 20% crystal malts I have my concerns though. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Mash low?

Has anyone tired this recipe yet? I am planning to give it a shot but wanted to scope out any prior experiences with this recipe before I order my ingredients. Cheers

Back