Mr. Brussel Sprout... why didn't I like you when i was a kid???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damsie101

Reaction score
I am beginning to loathe the child I was for the sole reason that I HATED brussel sprouts as a kid. What was wrong with me?? Now I can't cook them enough. Anyone have any good ways to cook brussel sprouts?

In a bowl coat with olive oil, add some sea or kosher salt and chopped fresh garlic. Roast in oven at 400* for 30-40 minutes.

Creamed brussel sprouts are fabulous.

What's not to like about the brussel sprout? They're tiny little cabbages, full of goodness.

Mmm... my mouth is watering. I love strong greens. Kale, collards, man.

Microwave them for a bit. Toss them in a mixture of olive oil, salt, paprika, and dry mustard. Put on skewers and grill them. That's my favorite way to make brussels sprouts. They are good roasted and with bacon as well like others have mentioned.

I am beginning to loathe the child I was for the sole reason that I HATED brussel sprouts as a kid. What was wrong with me?? Now I can't cook them enough. Anyone have any good ways to cook brussel sprouts?

I love 'em steamed, boiled, sauteed, roasted, etc... But I think my fav is stir-fried with a little dark sesame oil; a dash of soy sauce works well. You can add just about anything to them if you want, chopped scallions, crimini mushrooms, matchstick carrots & maybe a bit of matchstick fresh ginger, chopped garlic & a matchstick hot chili pepper. Bear in mind I never work with less than a full pound of brussels sprouts. Sometimes I'll make a sauce out of condensed cream of mushroom (or cream of celery) soup & coconut milk. Regards, GF.

I love cabbage and all kinds of green veggies, but until I have a proper brussel sprout, I'm going to say that they are not on my list.

Had collared green last week. Ugh. Again, probably ought to make sure they are prepared properly, but I thought they would taste more like spinach...

I have always hated brussels, but I recently found a good way to do them and will eat them prepared in this way.

Cook them just to al dente, then throw them into a food processor with a small bit of butter and cream and seasoning to taste, blitz that lot up a bit, but don't make a puree of them, you still want some subtance to it.
Roast up some chestnuts, peel them and then chop them pretty fine, not too small.
Throw this into the brussels mix and mix it through, don't blitz them in you want some crunch from them.
Put this mix into a bowl and then top the lot with crispy bacon bits.

Delicious and a good way to convert people to Devil nuggets.

I like them many ways, but my favorite way is to halve them, then sear the faces in a pan with either olive oil or the same pan I've got chiopped bacon cooking. Cast iron skillet ftw on this one.

A little coarse salt and pepper finishes them off. The faces caramelize and have a little crunch. They are irresistible.

sprouts1.jpg

I first got my wife to eat them by halving, then slicing across to shred them like cole slaw. I gave them a quick toss in a hot pan with garlic and oil, s&p, then added to angel hair pasta. Some pine nuts and freshly grated Parmesan top it off.

sprouts2.jpg

-Joe

I love them and broccoli too. One problem as already mentioned is they can be bitter which I think happens when they get too old. Problem there is they way they grow, at the bottom there are larger older sprouts and at the top the smaller younger sprouts. I really like them when they are small and tender opposed to the larger ones.

I like them steamed (a little water) until tender then with just butter, salt and pepper. I am sure they are great other ways but I really just like them they way they are.

I actually have about 8 plants growing in the garden right now along with as many cabbages, they can live through frost. Last year I had cabbages that made it through the very rough winter last year and then started growing again in the spring (going to seed).

Growing up in Ireland, my dad used to boil these until they took on the consistency of wallpaper paste (common cooking method amongst the English, which is where my da was from) and the smell - nay, stench - would fill the house for days. Even now, the smell of these things cooking makes me nauseous.

An ex of mine loved them, and used to boil them and then cover them with vinegar. (Taking the stank to a whole new level)

Growing up in Ireland, my dad used to boil these until they took on the consistency of wallpaper paste (common cooking method amongst the English, which is where my da was from) and the smell - nay, stench - would fill the house for days. Even now, the smell of these things cooking makes me nauseous.

An ex of mine loved them, and used to boil them and then cover them with vinegar. (Taking the stank to a whole new level)

I hear ya, horrible smelly crappy devils nuggets.

Alton talks about the wallpaper past method in the video. EWWW

I love them, I have never prepared them though. Let us know if you get some good recipes.

I prefer to cook mine in some butter with onions until they're browned really well. For extra kick, cook some bacon extra crispy and crumble on them. Very delicious.

Back