secondary for wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliBrewin

Reaction score
please forgive this newbish question, but would it be pointless to secondary a wheat beer?

i mean, i know they tend to be murky but would there be any benefits or even downsides to secondary-ing?

gratzie

-Zach

It depends what your goal for the beer is. If you want a clear wheat, then by all means stick it in a secondary. If not, give it a couple weeks in primary and then go straight to bottles. Over time it'll settle in bottles, although I've heard arguments for the benefits of bulk secondary condition as opposed to bottle conditioning.

Personally, I don't use a secondary for wheat beers.

im brewing a wheat at the minute and intend split it. half going straight bottle from primary, quarter going to secondary with rasberrys, quarter going to secondary with blueberrys.

Personally, I prefer to just let my wheats condition and clear in the bottles. It's definitely a personal preference but I don't think a wheat should be clear like other beers. My last wheat conditioned and cleared very nicely in the bottles after 2 or 3 weeks in a cool closet. Of course, there was some chill haze after sitting in the fridge, but that didn't take away from it's awesomeness.

The secondary is really just a means of clearing a beer. I don't expect a wheat to be clear, so I don't use a secondary. As a matter of fact, I only use a secondary if I am dry-hopping or adding fruit. Otherwise, give it 3 to 4 weeks in primary on the cake, then straight to bottles or keg.

alright thanks guys, i appreciate the input.

ive decided im just going to give it 2 more weeks in the primary.

i have an AIPA im bottling tommorow that was my first full boil, first secondaried and first dry hopped beer. anticipating it to be my best brew yet.

that should provide some good compensation for another two weeks wait!

again, thank you guys.

-Zach

Your patience will be greatly rewarded, I assure you. I just kicked 2 kegs and have absolutely NOTHING in the pipeline even remotely close to being ready. Actually, the only thing "in process" is a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein that has been fermenting only 2 weeks, so it has a LOOOOOONG way to go. That being said, I guess I am going to have to practice what we all preach around here....... patience.

The secondary is really just a means of clearing a beer. I don't expect a wheat to be clear, so I don't use a secondary. As a matter of fact, I only use a secondary if I am dry-hopping or adding fruit. Otherwise, give it 3 to 4 weeks in primary on the cake, then straight to bottles or keg.

Why the extra time in the primary?

Back