HOP SLAP Imperial IPA No Clone needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast
Yeast Starter
One quart
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 64deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 64
Tasting Notes
Great body, Fresh Citrisy and Piney backed by solid bitterness
19# 2 Row American
8# Golden Promise
2# Honey malt
6# CaraPils
2# Corn sugar

Hops
60min- 2oz Simcoe, 2oz Columbus
45min- 2oz Chinook
25min- 1oz Simcoe, 1oz Centennial
15min- 2oz Citra

Dry Hop into secondary
2oz Simcoe
2oz Citra

Wyeast- American Ale

Mash at 162 for 60min. I am running a RIMS so really good efficiency. I shoot for a 11.5gal so after transfers we get little over 10gal.
This beer scored 90 overall in a small competition, and it was not fully carbonated. Ok it was only in bottle 2 weeks in a 64deg basement it was flat.

All my friends and I love it let me know if you try it and what you think!
Thanks and good brewing

Only as 1 qt starter huh? Isn't that an underpitch? And 1.08 FG has to be amistype. Maybe 1.018, given your mash temp? And 6# is more Carapils than I see very often. How does that do as far as head retention? I bet you could float on your back on it, if the glass was big enough. :D

Good looking recipe, though. I really like the Simcoe/Citra dry hop. For reference, what is your assumed efficiency?

Never ran the numbers but the last batch I made was three weeks ago, I had a OG of 1.080 and didn't use the Corn Suger. And thanks I looked at the wrong mash temp. I have 40gal between me and friends right now this mashed at 162 made the change above as well.

Primary- 10gal Hop Slap, 10gal Wheat, 10gal Honey Brown,

Secondary-5gal French Saison, 5gal Belgian Saison, 5gal Bourbon Barrel Aged Black IIPA, 10gal Flanders Red, 5gal Centennial IPA

On tap- Hop Slap, BBB IIPA, Centennial IPA, Irish Red, Hot Brown Apple

Something seems weird about the recipe- mashing at 162 with 6# of carapils just doesn't seem correct. I would expect that a mash temp would be about 10 degrees cooler, although I know that there is one IPA recipe that Jamil has that is mashed at 160. 6 pounds of carapils is about three times what I'd expect, and I've never seen that much in one recipe before.

Can you confirm the recipe and the mash temp?

Hopslam is fairly malty. I'm not sure the 162 is terribly far off (but on a gravity that big it probably is), but the 6# of carapils??

Holy wha!

Back